Discussion topic: E-sim sky mobile

This message was authored by TricolorChutoy This message was authored by: TricolorChutoy

E-sim sky mobile

Early rumours for the iPhone 14 Pro indicate apple might be moving to an E-sim only phone. No physical sim cards.

Just spoken to sky support who say that sky do not offer e-sims. Surely, if apple does this, sky will have to accommodate the many many people who get an iPhone 14.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: E-sim sky mobile

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TricolorChutoy  Not if they don't sell them due to them not supporting esims currently.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@TricolorChutoy wrote:

if apple does this, sky will have to accommodate the many many people who get an iPhone 14.

The world of business doesn't work like that, all we know is that Sky doesn't support esims and while this subject comes up frequently the fact that still doesn't support them speak volumes after all you would have thought they would have done by now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
TricolorChutoy
Topic Author
This message was authored by TricolorChutoy This message was authored by: TricolorChutoy

The iPhone is quite possibly the most popular mobile phone release of the year. The amount of people who will leave sky (myself included) or just not join sky will be massive. 

I don't claim to know how the world of business works, but that can't be good for business...

@TricolorChutoy wrote:

The amount of people who will leave sky (myself included) or just not join sky will be massive. 

Not sure massive would be the word to use but if it is true and it is just a rumour at present, then I'm sure that Sky would have a rough idea of how many would go elsewhere based on how many people purchased the iphone 13 from them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
TricolorChutoy
Topic Author

I'm personally on a sim only plan with sky, so it's not necessarily just people who purchase the actual phone from them. The iPhone holds the most market share of any phone. It just seems wierd to alienate that many potential customers. 

Hopefully they have something planned.

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @TricolorChutoy  it seems the esim version of the 14 is to be tested in certain limited markets to gauge response, Apple will also be selling the physical sim phone in most areas so not essential for sky to have esims for this iPhone release. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by PETER11461 This message was authored by: PETER11461

Hi I have just been onto the apple site and looked at the specs of the iphone 14 and it states "

SIM Card
  • Dual eSIM support16
  • iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus are not compatible with physical SIM cards."

Sky are selling the iphone 14 so how are they able to do this and not supply and esim?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@PETER11461  Sky are selling the iPhone 14 Pro, in fact according to the apple website all the iPhone 14 versions support Dual SIM (nano-SIM and eSIM).

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

The UK version takes physical sims as you have linked to the US site, this is the UK one:

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-14/specs/

This message was authored by Annabellag25 This message was authored by: Annabellag25

It's so irritating. I have a smart watch I can't use to it's full potential because of this and now stuck with sky for another year.

This message was authored by biomulv This message was authored by: biomulv

Ahhh , my annual check to see if sky have finally started supporting esim. 

See you all at the end of 2023 to check again.

Electronic Engineer by day, geek by night.
Avid collector of tech.

Current - Sky Q 2TB + 2 miniboxes, Voda Fibre. Many shiny things.
Current daily mobiles S22Ultra / iPhone13.
This message was authored by ianmac123 This message was authored by: ianmac123

HA! The exact same here, I check every few months to see if the have finally caught on, but nope, still not!

If sky does not support them by the end of my contract, I will be upping sticks and moving to a more capable network. It is pathetic that we are almost in 2023 and they still haven't released support for eSIMS.  I haven't been able to use my Apple Watch effectively because of it, ugh.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@ianmac123 There are very few MVNO's that support e-sims: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

It appears the issue isn't simple to resolve - we have no idea of the technical changes required behind the scenes but I suspect Apple will be releasing e-sim only next year which may focus the minds.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by mrmightyfine This message was authored by: mrmightyfine

It's not just iPhone people who are affected. I have a Samsung Galaxy smart watch and S23 ultra but can only use the phone so my watch isn't being used to full capability. E sims are only supported by EE, O2 and Vodafone on smart watches

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion