Discussion topic: Sky Go quality shouold not be so poor in 2024

This message was authored by dhamilton85 This message was authored by: dhamilton85

Sky Go quality shouold not be so poor in 2024

Firstly I'm fully aware of some standard answers to this. Yes Sky Go is not a standalone streaming service but it is still funded by a company that has the vast majority of the UK market and charges very high fees for the services it provides. 

When they're providing some of the premier sporting and drama content in the world it makes sense to me that Sky should be offering it at a reasonable quality 1080p at the minimum. Bandwidth to carry more data costs money but the level of quality Sky choose to offer to the increasing proportion of their customers that choose online streaming is unacceptable in 2024 and bettered by almost every other streaming competitor in the current market. 

To the product teams at Sky that may or may not read comments like these I'd urge you to consider the effect this has on the brand when the younger more quality sensitive users you have compare your product to that of Netflix, Disney and Apple. In addition think about the fact that HBO et al are licensing some of the worlds premier conten to you and will be receiving additional criticism for the muddied image because Sky choose to limit the potential dynamic range and resolution all in favour of cost saving. 

I think more consideration should be given to the impression the content you serve has on your customer and your licensors when you serve such a low quality.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion