Discussion topic: Sky Go ARM version for new Qualcomm devices.

This message was authored by 7zarkie7 This message was authored by: 7zarkie7

Sky Go ARM version for new Qualcomm devices.

Hi, 

I have one of the new Windows 11 Arm laptops , can we please get a build of Sky Go for this platform, all the other streaming services work fine, so no excuse for Sky not to have one (and the current app does not work).

Mark

Best Answers
This message was authored by AlbertoBizzini This message was authored by: AlbertoBizzini Answer

Re: Sky Go ARM version for new Qualcomm devices.

I solved, check this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/forum/windows_11-performance/sky-go-per-windows-non-funz...

it's in italian, but basically:

Ecco la traduzione in inglese:

"SkyGO can work on ARM; I use it on Surface Pro X with SQ2. You need to go to the properties of the SkyGO app, and in the Compatibility tab, click on ARM Emulation at the bottom and check the box at the top of the window that opens."

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Windows is supposed to run x86 code on ARM so you should be badgering Microsoft.

I doubt Sky want to support a tiny tiny tiny fraction of Windows users with an entire new architecture and all the expense involved

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
7zarkie7
Topic Author

It does but where there is complex DRM and other things going on then it becomes a lot harder. I think it is likely there will be a lot a more users picking up Arm devices based on the performance and battery life of this device. So I am getting my request in early 🙂  I can easily see the number of ARM devices being greater than the number of Apple Silicon devices and we have a native build for that.  Thanks for replying 🙂 

Mark

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

I run on Raspberry Pi's here (have done for several years) and don't see Sky GO becoming available for ARM Linux any time soon either 😞

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
7zarkie7
Topic Author

I love my Raspberry Pi's, yeah I don't see that happening either. We can only hope ! 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@7zarkie7 wrote:

all the other streaming services work fine, so no excuse for Sky not to have one

'All the other streaming services' are app-only, so they really do have to work.  Sky is a hardware platform, primarily delivering service to Sky+ and Sky Q boxes, Glass television sets and Stream pucks, with Go delivery very much as an add-on.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
7zarkie7
Topic Author

"All the other streaming services' are app-only, so they really do have to work.  Sky is a hardware platform, primarily delivering service to Sky+ and Sky Q boxes, Glass television sets and Stream pucks, with Go delivery very much as an add-on."

Who actively promote being able to watch your TV on the go 🙂  - without Go I would cancel , i would have no need of it. Perhaps I am an edge case though.

Mark

This message was authored by AlbertoBizzini This message was authored by: AlbertoBizzini Answer

I solved, check this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/forum/windows_11-performance/sky-go-per-windows-non-funz...

it's in italian, but basically:

Ecco la traduzione in inglese:

"SkyGO can work on ARM; I use it on Surface Pro X with SQ2. You need to go to the properties of the SkyGO app, and in the Compatibility tab, click on ARM Emulation at the bottom and check the box at the top of the window that opens."

This message was authored by Jamrg This message was authored by: Jamrg

Brilliant, thanks. This fixed Sky Go for me on a new Surface Laptop running Snapdragon X Plus.

Right Click SkyGo.exe | Properties | Compatibility (tab) | Change Emulation Settings | Tick "Hide x64 Emulation Capability (x86 apps only)"

With this ticked in "Default" Emulation mode, it's working perfectly 🙂 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion