Discussion topic: How can I get Sky Go App on Oculas Meta3?

This message was authored by Btbhutch This message was authored by: Btbhutch

How can I get Sky Go App on Oculas Meta3?

I intially used sidequest to add the sky go apk. it appeared to add, however when I attempted to log in what ever I typed on the vitual keyboard did not transfer to the sky go login window.

Any help would be appreciated

All Replies

This message was authored by Phxntomation This message was authored by: Phxntomation

Re: How can I get Sky Go App on Oculas Meta3?

Sky Go isn't natively supported on the Meta Quest, so you can expect it to be plagued with bugs.

Sky did have an app called Sky Worlds, but that was shut down end of February.

Not sure if support for the Quest is in the pipeline, but there isn't a lot of support that can be provided.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream Customer + Sky Cinema + Sky Mobile
Not a Sky employee
Btbhutch
Topic Author
This message was authored by Btbhutch This message was authored by: Btbhutch

Thanks.

I had the sky world app, hopefully someone in the know will decide to include the quest 3 platform.

This message was authored by MattyBoy567 This message was authored by: MattyBoy567

I can confirm that Sky Go app doesnt work on the Quest, like you say, the keyboard doesn't allow you to login to it.

This message was authored by Newman1105 This message was authored by: Newman1105

Just wanted to let anyone know who comes across this post that you can use copy and paste to put your email and password and login. I've signed in and managed to load live tv with no issue, only briefly tested but it works. 

This message was authored by Rob2404 This message was authored by: Rob2404

Hi, can you tell me how to do this please. I have sky and want to watch it on my quest 3. Many thanks.

Ps. Can't find the apk file for the app if that's what you did. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Edit: deleted

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by ilovemyprobe This message was authored by: ilovemyprobe

I think Sky have no choice but to be on Meta Quest, since buying one 3 weeks ago, I have completely stopped looking at TV, next will come cancellation of Sky services as they are no longer putting themselvees in front of me.

Not being on Quest is a very big gamble me thinks. I will not be alone here too. It's the same as putting Sky Go on our phones, these days its essential I would have though.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

I think Sky have no choice but to be on Meta Quest, since buying one 3 weeks ago, I have completely stopped looking at TV, next will come cancellation of Sky services as they are no longer putting themselvees in front of me.

Not being on Quest is a very big gamble me thinks. I will not be alone here too. It's the same as putting Sky Go on our phones, these days its essential I would have though.

I doubt there are that many Meta Quests sold in the UK to warrent Sky support for them

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by MattyBoy567 This message was authored by: MattyBoy567

For some reason Sky don't want Go web browsing to even work on a PC, you have to use an app, so supporting Quest is unlikely for the time being.  If Quest audience figures increase, they might develop an app for it, but that's higher maintenance.

Netflix recently gave up on their app, and decided to support the meta browser instead. But Sky doesn't have any browser support.

This message was authored by ilovemyprobe This message was authored by: ilovemyprobe

Perhaps but once Apple, Sony, Google, Microsoft etc get the VR tech to where it needs to be, physical  tv viewing may decline.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

Perhaps but once Apple, Sony, Google, Microsoft etc get the VR tech to where it needs to be, physical  tv viewing may decline.

I can never see strapping a screen to ones head as mainstream for viewing video content, you cannot sit down with other people to watch a movie together, how long have we had VR and it is still niche

Could you see a family of four or more paying a fortune for 4 VR headsets rather than one TV? and what happens if you have friends around? This seems vary impractical to me 😞

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

I doubt that will happen. The VR tech is unlikely to ever be able to be sold at a low enough price to make it mass market for these companies to make a profit.

3D TVs never main it mainstream for similar reasons and if anything that was going to be the required precursor tech ( getting people used to wearing glasses/headsets), to full VR experiences. 

You would also likely need the programming to be shot in specific ways to get the best out of any potential VR viewing, that would cost more for shows and wouldn't be viable unless the tech was on the verge of being mainstream. Cost of tech being one thing, it's hard to encourage people to switch over to VR for TV unless the experience was better, and that wouldn't happen without the market and units having already been sold (chicken and egg situation).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

All good points made.

VR headsets are already selling at half the price of my TV and are compariable in price with a gaming box from the likes of Sony and MS.

3 weeks ago i mainly watched Sky TV because its there on my TV, 3 weeks later I mainly watch Netflix and Prime because they are in my Headset where as sky are not. You will appreciate that the VR novelty has not worn off with me just yet.

With 3D TV we were being asked to buy a new tv with 3D capabilities, which is fine, as long as you have the 3D content to broadcast, we didnt. A big big fail but a VR headset is a completely different proposition because it can make great use of all the existing content we presently have. 

Im not really talking about filming shows/films in 3D for a headset, Im just watching regular Prime and Netflix on a giant screen in a virtual cinema rather than the now tiny 42 inch telly in my front room. Its a completely different expeience. I would put the headset away and switch on normal telly when the family are here.

Out of curiosity why would Netflix and Prime have representation on a VR headset but Sky doesnt feel the need, anyone know?

Six weeks ago I would not have dreamed of strapping a screen to my head, I thought it just looked ridiculous, it was not for me, what a difference a month makes!

With VR you can actually sit down with others and watch a film together in a virtual room, great for when family are spread apart but when under the same roof, watching good old fashion telly with family wins every time.

I would say VR is still niche but I expect this to change in time as it has far too many positives. For me its more in line with the developement of the mobile phone rather than the failure of, say, 3D TV.

3D TV has just the one trick, mobile phone, skies the limit. I see VR Headsets in a similar light to that of a devoping mobile phone market. VR has been around for sometime (I first experienced it over 30 years ago) but I feel we have only just reached the point where it might just explode.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion