Discussion topic: sky glass problems

This message was authored by davebatto1 This message was authored by: davebatto1

sky glass problems

I am at my wits end now with Sky Glass.  I had my first TV delivered last month.  had problems with the TV trying to find the SKY broadband server.  went through an hour of resetting server, then the tv - over and over again and then it was decided the tv was faulty.  so new one dispatched.  thought that was a great service replacing a faulty one.  I am now in month 2 and same thing has happened to second tv.  dreading calling SKY to go through the same fault finding off and on, hold the end button while the tv is turned off etc, etc.

Another frustrating thing we are going through 2 x AAA batteries every 2 days with the sky glass clicker and we only use the tv for a couple of hours after work each night.  could it be no 3 sky glass getting issued today?  please forum am I the only one having these problems with the tv struggling to recognise the server?  i am doing it with the sky password and the automatic link as well.  the server is positioned 2 foot from the tv as well.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: sky glass problems

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davebatto1 wrote:

the server is positioned 2 foot from the tv as well.

If by 'server' you mean the internet router, then the first thing to try is using an ethernet cable to make the link between it and the television set, and switch off the Glass WiFi.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@davebatto1 wrote:

the server is positioned 2 foot from the tv as well.

If by 'server' you mean the internet router, then the first thing to try is using an ethernet cable to make the link between it and the television set, and switch off the Glass WiFi.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@davebatto1 

And if the remote is using lots of batteries use the following link to replace under warranty 

Replace remote

https://www.sky.com/help/forms/streaming-tv-remote

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
davebatto1
Topic Author
This message was authored by davebatto1 This message was authored by: davebatto1

Yes, apologies, I do mean the server.  will get an ethernet cable tomorrow and try to do as instructed.  don't hold much hope though.  thought the sky glass tv was supposed to work on wifi.  but understand this maybe just to eliminate a  possiblefault and see how things are.

will feedback tomorrow.

davebatto1
Topic Author

i mean the internet router.  

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

It does work on Wifi, but the Wifi signal needs to be strong and stable for the sky streaming platform to function perfectly, as the platform requres a constant connection to Sky's servers. It does mean in some situation where environmental (other electrical equipment, the building, interference from neighbours networks) can cause issues. Also a lot of the standard routers ISP provides are pretty basic and don't offer the most reliable and strong WIFI signal all the time, which doesn't much help either.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Robertcg This message was authored by: Robertcg

Sky told me to use an Ethernet cable directly to TV but didn't resolve and TV keeps switching Wi-Fi back on which just confuses it. I've had Glass for 2.5 years now and wish I'd never got it. Notice that Sky don't promote it anymore. Stream has taken over, maybe as the Glass hardware was never fit for purpose. Whatever you do, don't let the 2 year warranty expire as then you're reliant on insurance. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Robertcg wrote:

Sky told me to use an Ethernet cable directly to TV but didn't resolve and TV keeps switching Wi-Fi back on which just confuses it. I've had Glass for 2.5 years now and wish I'd never got it. Notice that Sky don't promote it anymore. Stream has taken over, maybe as the Glass hardware was never fit for purpose. Whatever you do, don't let the 2 year warranty expire as then you're reliant on insurance. 

If using Ethernet you need to also disable WiFi in the Glass settings otherwise yes it will keep switching between WiFi and Ethernet.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Robertcg This message was authored by: Robertcg

I kept disabling Wi-Fi but it turns itself back on. Given up with ethernet so back on Wi-Fi with associated connection issues.

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Robertcg  May be worth removing the WiFi connection to your router then it won't be able to reconnect to it 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion