Discussion topic: Vast majority of Skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Vast majority of Skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream

Fairly big news this really - Vast Majority of skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream - 

Sky are said to be delighted with the sales of Glass - with the 55 inch being the best seller - I think we may see a Version 2 Sky Glass launch in 2024

Taking in to account all of the existing Q customers that are switching across to Glass/Stream, I suspect within two years that the majority of Skys customers will be on an IP based product. The potential cost savings for sky are massive. Interesting times. I think Sky Q/HD have until 2028 maybe 2030 at the latest

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast

All Replies

This message was authored by Radical This message was authored by: Radical

Re: 8 out of 10 of Skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream

I had Q for two years. I switched to Glass in July this year. 

My mother in law done the same. 

A couple of friends also new to Sky went straight to glass (due to not being able to have a dish though). 

Smart advertising, I find if you like tech it's far more appealing to go to Stream / Glass 

Mark

Sky glass 65” Racing Green - Ethernet
LG OLED 55” + Sky Puck - WiFi
Virgin Gigabit broadband with Hub5
XBOX Series S - Ethernet
Jason+Golding
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Re: Vast majority of Skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream

@Radical I agree. Stream/Glass is just more pleasant on the eye. I personally dont miss recording at all - it almost seems old hat. I love the play list. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Radical This message was authored by: Radical

I've had Glass and a puck for 4 months now. And I've never had an issue.  I opted to switched as I'd moved house. Fancied a new tele (yes I know they're not top of the range) but I wanted something easy on the eye (as you said) I have a decent smart tele which is now in the bedroom. 

I don't miss recording, my other half initially said she did. But she quite likes the playlist now. And the fact it groups everything together from all available sources makes it easier to find things. I definitely don't miss the bad weather signal drops. Albeit few and far between compared to yesteryear. 

I'm not naive enough to believe it isn't without issue, and some people will have them.  I sometimes feel we read about more problems because people vent when there's issues and don't praise something that works quite well. It applies to most things in life I think as well. 

Mark

Sky glass 65” Racing Green - Ethernet
LG OLED 55” + Sky Puck - WiFi
Virgin Gigabit broadband with Hub5
XBOX Series S - Ethernet
Jason+Golding
Topic Author

@Radical Mark the vast majority of stream and glass customers have a trouble free expeience - albeit with the ocassional outage. This forum is a bit like a review website - you tend to hear about the negatives and problems  rather than the positives.(thats fine - to me thats what the community is here for).

I have completely trouble free viewing - I love the playlist - I love the fact that I can watch 4k on my second box - and most importantly - stream to me offers value and an outstanding picture and viewing experience

(only minor moan for me - FF and RW needs improving and the third party apps could be better)

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Fairly big news this really - Vast Majority of skys new customers are now taking Glass or Stream - 

Possibly slightly misleading though, because there are never that many 'new' Sky customers in any given year when compared to millions of existing ones.

Demographically it makes sense because when young people are living in rental properties, Stream is more practical  than satellite (although Sky are really missing a trick there by still having household rather than personal subscription)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

I was given a "get out" by BT TV and took advantage of an offer for Sky Stream and I absolutely love it... it's worked perfectly since day 1 and I love that I don't have to hunt for 3am rebroadcasts to avoid running into limits on recordings... And the picture and sound quality is outstanding especially on the UHD and Atmos..  it makes BT TV look really poor by comparison. Also, thrown into the mix is free Paramount+, Discovery+ & Netflix (with a small top up for Premium)... it's a little bit more than I costed but well worth it and I'm going to move my broadband over in February to balance the costs...

Jason+Golding
Topic Author

@Nigelb1972 Great stuff Nigel 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion