Discussion topic: Skyglass UHD upgrade on 30mbps?

This message was authored by MarkJ911 This message was authored by: MarkJ911

Skyglass UHD upgrade on 30mbps?

I have been offered the upgrade from Sky but unsure if my Sky Broadband superfast 35 can support it?

My average is 30mbps. Guess it will be okay for downloaded programs but if i am watching say F1 or Football live will that be an issue? dont want a stuttering mess.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Skyglass UHD upgrade on 30mbps?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MarkJ911 all material on Glass and Stream is streamed not downloaded. The max usage of UHD sport is can approach 30Mb/s so it would mean nothing else could use the internet at the same time. It should work assuming the wifi can support the full bandwidth which is just as important as the internrt connection. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@MarkJ911 wrote:

I have been offered the upgrade from Sky but unsure if my Sky Broadband superfast 35 can support it?

My average is 30mbps. Guess it will be okay for downloaded programs but if i am watching say F1 or Football live will that be an issue? dont want a stuttering mess.

Be wary of the term 'upgrade' - if you already have Sky Q you may find that it is already a much more user friendly, stable and versatile system than Sky Stream. Just because Stream is newer it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It's very different from Q and works well for some, and terrible for others. 

MarkJ911
Topic Author

thanks Chrisee, hmm yes as i suspected. Not a lot of use if it swallows all the available bandwidth that i am getting.

Guess i am stuck until Sky can improve my broadband offering (semi rural).

Is UHD a worthy update over normal HD with Skyglass ?

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@MarkJ911

Be under no illusion Sky Glass/Stream is NOT an upgrade, it is simply an alternative way of getting Sky if you can't have or don't want a satellite dish.

Your broadband speed is borderline so if you are happy with your current Sky setup then I would be inclined to remain with it for the time being.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MarkJ911 wrote:

Guess i am stuck until Sky can improve my broadband offering (semi rural).

Sky (and any other bandwidth reseller such as BT) cannot do that: only the arrival of the Openreach national FTTP deployment or local investment by an altnet FTTP installer will change things.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mrwwt This message was authored by: mrwwt

If it helps, I have sky superfast 35 and sky glass + UHD. For me personally, it's been fine - I've had no issues whatsoever. 

Although I'd recommend contacting Sky about only getting 30mbps, you're paying for a minimum of 35. I was getting 34, complained, they had someone come out and fix my line and now i get 39.9

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@mrwwt wrote:

If it helps, I have sky superfast 35 and sky glass + UHD. For me personally, it's been fine - I've had no issues whatsoever. 

I'm the same my connection maxes out at 32mb and although close to skys threshold I dont experience any issues with UHD on my glass 

i have another puck in use and various smart doorbells and alexas etc 

I do have a google WiFi mesh system plugged into my sky router which ensures a stable WiFi connection through my house 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Suskha This message was authored by: Suskha

@Fothergill1 wrote:

Be under no illusion Sky Glass/Stream is NOT an upgrade

It is an upgrade if you consider being able to get Sky content in 4K HDR + Dolby Atmos in multiple rooms - no other Sky product offers that. This was the primary reason why I switched from Sky Q.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mrwwt wrote:

Although I'd recommend contacting Sky about only getting 30mbps, you're paying for a minimum of 35. 

There's not necessarily any such minimum at the address where @MarkJ911  is resident. 'Superfast 35' is a product brand name for FTTC capped at 40Mbs rather than a guaranteed minimum download speed of 35Mbs.

The GMDS for Superfast 35 is actually 25Mbs, after which Sky will 'guarantee' a months subscription refund and an offer of penalty-free release from contract, but not higher speed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

@Suskha @MarkJ911 

Exactly!  That was my sole reason for moving away from Sky Q with mini boxes which were constantly losing signal.

I now have UHD and Dolby Atmos in 6 rooms.

I am also semi-rural and was limited to slow fibre to the cabinet internet.  I had 2 lines , one 30 meg and one 40 meg which were linked using a load balancing router.  The pucks coped with this set up as it is  unusual  for more than a couple of pucks to be streaming 4K atmos at the same time.  Yes, there are occasional glitches which require a reboot of a puck, but now that they are all connected to smart plugs which force a reboot during the night these glitches are few and far between.

However, one day I noticed that my phone was occasionally connecting to 5g in my home.  On further investigation of mobile provider maps I discovered that EE 5g and Three 5g were now available in a tiny spot just over the top of my house.  Their internet services were not open to me but there's nothing to prevent you getting hold of your own 5g router and a data sim.  Despite being more than a mile away from any mobile towers I now have a solid connection to Three of 870Mbps and EE at 190 Mbps.  (Each through a different window in my house.)

There have been some problems in the past with Sky pucks not working properly with Three internet.  I haven't experienced any of those problems.  I have tried my pucks both wired and wireless with no issues.

Maybe this is because I am using unlimited data sims rather than the provider's  internet connections and so they are not force feeding me software updates which might introduce problems.

The point that I make here is that if you are stuck with a slow internet over copper connection don't rule out 5g if it is available to you.  I got an excellent deal on the Three data sim on Amazon which worked out at less than £7 a month until December 1925 and I already had my EE sim which came as an extra sim on my phone deal.

The hardware of the puck is substandard, and accessing catch-up services (which are hosted remotely and not on the puck or Glass tv itself) takes longer than using (for instance) the much higher spec Apple TV box.  
If you can tolerate that  (and the monthly cost) then Sky's  integration of the catch-up services and particularly the ability to play a currently live program from the start is, in my opinion, superior to what is available on Apple TVs, Nvidia Shields, Fire Cubes Rokus etc and I have all of the major brands.

Manual fast forwarding is a pain but using voice commands to forward and reverse a certain period of time

works well once you get used to it.

This message was authored by Curtis75 This message was authored by: Curtis75

@PSC133 

Same experience with my internet,  stuck with poor speeds and no immediate prospect of full fibre.  5g came to the rescue.

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@mrwwt wrote:

Although I'd recommend contacting Sky about only getting 30mbps, you're paying for a minimum of 35. 

There's not necessarily any such minimum at the address where @MarkJ911  is resident. 'Superfast 35' is a product brand name for FTTC capped at 40Mbs rather than a guaranteed minimum download speed of 35Mbs.

The GMDS for Superfast 35 is actually 25Mbs, after which Sky will 'guarantee' a months subscription refund and an offer of penalty-free release from contract, but not higher speed.

My MySky app says my miminum guaranteed speed is "35.9 mbs". As the same app said I was getting 34mbs, I contacted Sky – as you said, they gave me a month's refund and sent an engineer out to fix the line.

MarkJ911
Topic Author

Thanks all for replies. My concern is someone watching a uhd program on sky glass whilst someone tries surfing or online gaming at same time etc as surely the uhd will swallow all the available bandwidth? 
interesting on the refund policy as don't think I've ever had 35mbps for first year of installation 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion