Discussion topic: Sky glass local dimming subtitles

This message was authored by Danb5 This message was authored by: Danb5

Sky glass local dimming subtitles

So I just watched the platform 2 on Netflix, I noticed that when the subtitles appear they are dark then brighten up and there's a weird fog like line that is clear to see above the subtitles going from one end of the screen to the other. It's rather annoying, I suspect it's HDR Dolby vision local dimming. Does anyone else have this issue? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

Re: Sky glass local dimming subtitles

@Danb5 wrote:

So I just watched the platform 2 on Netflix, I noticed that when the subtitles appear they are dark then brighten up and there's a weird fog like line that is clear to see above the subtitles going from one end of the screen to the other. It's rather annoying, I suspect it's HDR Dolby vision local dimming. Does anyone else have this issue? 

It's a symptom of a TV without many local dimming zones. It's common on many low/mid range backlit LCD TVs with FALD, not just Sky Glass. Blooming around subtitles is frequently the source which makes it most noticeable, particularly on HDR content where the backlight is on maximum. 

Danb5
Topic Author
This message was authored by Danb5 This message was authored by: Danb5

Re: Sky glass local dimming subtitles

@Mister_Dalek it's not exactly blooming, it's a line roughly 5cm-10cm above the subtitles stretching from both sides of the screen.

I've noticed it happen in credits aswell, but it's a blob around not from side to side,.

only an issue in foreign films with subtitles I guess but rather annoying 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion