Discussion topic: Sky glass end of contract worries

This message was authored by Nicolaa This message was authored by: Nicolaa

Sky glass end of contract worries

Hi I'm wondering if by having sky glass have I actually made myself be tied to sky for life? Like can I actually use my tv (which I would have paid stupid money for) and cancel my sky contract? I've been thinking of this since sky glass had an issue last month and I could not turn on my tv to access any of the other streaming platforms that I pay for, including my dvd player. So yeah does anyone know what happens or have you had the same thoughts/worries? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Deedee36 This message was authored by: Deedee36 Answer

Re: Sky glass end of contract worries

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nicolaasee below  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription

aslo note if your cancel your subscription and turn off wifi on the tv this will allow you to watch tv channels through a tv tuner with a connected aerial 

……
……
……
……
“Trying to help improve sky glass”

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Deedee36 This message was authored by: Deedee36 Answer

@Nicolaasee below  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription

aslo note if your cancel your subscription and turn off wifi on the tv this will allow you to watch tv channels through a tv tuner with a connected aerial 

……
……
……
……
Nicolaa
Topic Author

Hmm that says it will work like a normal TV. But then the next sentence it says I won't be able to access Tv apps like Netflix, which to me isn't like a normal tv. So I wouldn't be able to watch Disney or Prime which I pay for? I will have to give sky a ring because it's all starting to feel like a huge scam if the tv is pretty much rendered obsolete if I don't have sky when I didn't want sky in the first place.

thank you for your reply though 🙂

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nicolaa wrote:

Hmm that says it will work like a normal TV.

It's NOT a normal TV: some of us have been challenging that statement from Sky for three years.

But then the next sentence it says I won't be able to access Tv apps like Netflix, which to me isn't like a normal tv. So I wouldn't be able to watch Disney or Prime which I pay for?

Apps remain available as long as you still have a Sky account (which is different to a Sky content subscription and doesn't cost anything by itself)

I will have to give sky a ring because it's all starting to feel like a huge scam if the tv is pretty much rendered obsolete if I don't have sky when I didn't want sky in the first place.

Glass is inherently a delivery system for Sky content and their commercial app partners.  Ringing them is unlikely to achieve anything because that's just how it was designed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Deedee36 This message was authored by: Deedee36

@Nicolaa  As you have had a sky subscription your tv has been activated so all apps should work 

……
……
……
……
Nicolaa
Topic Author

They should have made all this known at the start of the policy. I was ringing sky to cancel due to the prices and that my tv at the time was on its way out and was then sold sky glass thinking it was a good idea as I will have a tv after 4 years of paying (which btw has cost me more than if I went to currys for example) my partner was all for it I however was unhappy about being stuck with sky for another 4 years, counting down the days until I can cancel. 
it seems like you're basically saying if I have a sky account (rather than contract) I can still access my streaming apps. That is what I want at the end of this contract although I have a feeling sky wont let me go so easily. Although if I have a sky account but no sky contract wouldn't they eventually remove my account as I am not paying for any services?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nicolaa wrote:

Although if I have a sky account but no sky contract wouldn't they eventually remove my account as I am not paying for any services?

No, because it's their legal reason to continue to make you offers of subscription service (technically it's an 'ongoing relationship' under the terms of digital marketing regulations)

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Nicolaa  You own the Sky Glass TV from day ONE, although you can return it for a refund within the cooling off period. If the TV is bought using a loan from Sky you are required to repay the loan within 2 or 4 years depending on the agreement you signed😉

Your Sky TV subscription is separate to the above and may have a minimum of 18 months or 2 years depending when it started🤔

You can cancel the Sky TV subscription at the end of you minimum term ... BUT must complete payments on your loan agreement😉

The TV will continue to function but not as a normal TV🙁

You will be able to access APPs and HDMI ports while connected to the internet ... but to access the DTT broadcast channels via a TV aerial you will have to disconnected the TV from the internet and lose access to APPs. To regain access to APPs you reconnect to the internet, which

then loses access to DTT broadcast channels. Any normal TVs allows access to APPs and DTT broadcast channels without the need to connect and disconnect from the internet😂🤣😂

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Gincap This message was authored by: Gincap

Your smarter than a smart TV is no such thing of course Sky have designed it in such a way if you stop subscribing then the "smart" TV is limited to basic functionality apps or aerial but not both together, thoughtful of Sky right 🤔

Full functionality keep subscribing or cut your losses and move on. The Glass basically becomes a 20 year old TV with no apps or a monitor with apps but no TV input. Smart heh 😉

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

It will still act  as a normal tv in so much as you can use apps and the hdmi sockets (same as a standard tv)

you won't get a tv EPG but adding a freeview player to one of the hdmi sockets would resolve this 

not sure what more you would expect ?

also you should be sent a new remote with dedicated app buttons on termination of your subscription although this can take a few weeks to be sent out 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 wrote:

The obvious ones compared to other smart television sets would be a fully functional built-in DTTV tuner and a far greater range of (optional) apps.

A few more sockets (including USB and optical audio out) would also be typical.

Oh, and at least some UI customisation.

Apart from those, it's pretty 'normal' ; )

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Jporch316 wrote:

The obvious ones compared to other 'normal' smart television sets would be a fully functional built-in DTTV tuner and a far greater range of (optional) apps.

I'll give you the tuner ....... same apps as pre cancelling though 🤷🏻‍♂️in effect the loss of an epg can be replicated with a fairly cheap freeview player as opposed to writing off the tv and spending on a new one ......

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 wrote:
same apps as pre cancelling though

But far fewer than any other Smart OS.  Admittedly most of them are rubbish, but some permit access to significant additional content.

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Jporch316 wrote:
same apps as pre cancelling though

But far fewer than any other Smart OS.  Admittedly most of them are rubbish, but some permit access to significant additional content.

Agreed .... that's why I have a firestick (doesn't everyone?) but the only difference OP will have after cancelling is the lack of an epg ...... which I agree is infuriatingly built in but inaccessible 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion