Discussion topic: Sky Glass reducing WiFi

This message was authored by DonaldClan This message was authored by: DonaldClan

Sky Glass reducing WiFi

Since Glass was installed ny WiFi signal to other devices has dropped dramatically. I have a booster that allowed me to work in my shed and take high quality Teams calls but since Glass was installed inside the signal strength has become unusable and I frequently have to drop out of calls. Is this a coincidence or a known issue?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Glass reducing WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MarkGoldsmith 

Thanks: it's come up here a few times before, and also in the Broadband forum where a household has cancelled Q television and then found the WiFi from their Sky Hub has apparently nosedived in speed and coverage when it's actually the loss of the Q box hotspot(s) and mesh function which is the cause.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@DonaldClan out of curiosity if you disable the WiFi on your Glass does that restore the strength of your WiFi signal and improve your Teams calls?

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

DonaldClan
Topic Author
This message was authored by DonaldClan This message was authored by: DonaldClan

Good question but I'm not sure how I do that. It won't work without it unless, I guess, I connect it by ethernet cable, if it has a socket for that but I could just unplug it and see.  

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@DonaldClan I just wonder if you could do it for an hour or two when you aren't using the glass and see if it improves. At least that way you will know for sure whether it's the glass causing it.

if you go into settings -> network -> advanced settings you can toggle WiFi on and off.

NOT a Sky Employee

DonaldClan
Topic Author

I'll just unplug it tomorrow whilst I'm at work and others are in bed to see, good idea, thanks 

This message was authored by Derek_Trotter This message was authored by: Derek_Trotter

@DonaldClan wrote:

Since Glass was installed ny WiFi signal to other devices has dropped dramatically. I have a booster that allowed me to work in my shed and take high quality Teams calls but since Glass was installed inside the signal strength has become unusable and I frequently have to drop out of calls. Is this a coincidence or a known issue?

Was anyone else in your household using the Glass TV at the time you noticed the drop in WiFi to your shed? Glass can consume a significant amount of bandwidth when in use, and even whilst it's in standby it may be downloading EPG information or software updates or firmware updates for the remote, all of which consume bandwidth. 

What speed is your broadband? 

No worries, hopefully it helps identify the cause at least then you might be on the path to properly getting a resolution for it.

NOT a Sky Employee

DonaldClan
Topic Author

The rest of the house accesses the main router's direct WiFi or comes off a different booster. My extender picks up the same booster that is in the room with the TV. Some of them actually use an ethernet cable because of the way the house is built. 

Speed was previously fine around 20 up here but now shows as 5

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DonaldClan 

If you had Sky Q before Sky Glass, and either have Sky Broadband or manually activated the function, you've now lost the WiFi 'hotspot' function of the Q television boxes.

DonaldClan
Topic Author

Oh. I didn't connect to the box but to a Sky Booster but I wonder if other devices closer by might have been.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DonaldClan 

When there's Q television and Sky Broadband at an address, a Sky booster would 'mesh' with the Q television box(es) and the Sky Hub automatically. 

This means replacing Q with Glass and/or Stream for Sky subscription television can substantially reduce wireless coverage throughout the property: Glass/Stream hardware has no hotspot/mesh functionality.

DonaldClan
Topic Author

Well, that explains that then. So not the addition of the glass but the removal of the Q and the second room box. 

Solutions? More boosters?

@DonaldClan wrote:

Solutions? More boosters?

Probably, but note that unlike with Q television, Sky doesn't loan booster hardware for Glass/Stream.

It's still potentially claimable under the terms of Broadband Boost if you have that subscription add-on.

Good spot @TimmyBGood 

NOT a Sky Employee

DonaldClan
Topic Author

I do but I sense they won't see a shed as part of the house

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion