Discussion topic: Really think sky glass is a big con.

This message was authored by Haze5 This message was authored by: Haze5

Re: Totally agree with you. Forced to buy a new TV when it l...

Semantics - perhaps forced was the wrong word but I was told if I was getting glass I needed one of their TVs.    I think you knew what I meant but obviously have time on your hands to bother with your response.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Haze5 wrote:

I was told if I was getting glass I needed one of their TVs. 

'Glass' is the product name for the television set itself, so yes, by definition that's the case.

Confusion perhaps comes in part because some Sky advertising doesn't particularly distinguish between the hardware and the subscription content ('Ultimate TV') although these are technically (and legally) two separate things provided on different contract terms.

See https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription as a description of the difference between Glass/Stream hardware and the Sky subscription television content service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Glass is the product that is a TV with the streaming technology built in, so yes if you want Sky Glass you must have the TV because that's exactly what Sky Glass is...

If you already have a TV and you do don't need or want a new one but want Sky's streaming service, then you order Sky Stream.

Stream is essentially the same software as Glass but it's in a tiny box that you connect to your existing TV via HDMI to access all the Sky services. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Haze5 wrote:

Semantics - perhaps forced was the wrong word but I was told if I was getting glass I needed one of their TVs.    I think you knew what I meant but obviously have time on your hands to bother with your response.

You really need to do more research before you buy anything.....

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Really think sky glass is a big con.

@Haze5 

“Sky Glass is the streaming TV with Sky inside, providing the total integration of hardware, software and content."

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/introducing-sky-glass-the-new-streaming-tv-from-sky 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thanks for the info but I'm probably going to get rid of all my Sky when the contract runs out!

Please get a life - I think you knew what I meant!

Thank you for all your responses. Some useful but many illustrating that some of you need to get a life.   Most, if not all of you, knew exactly what I was saying when I used the word 'con' .    

The very expensive and glossy ads do not match the actual experience - not least the connection issues.  And yes I wasn't forced to buy the tv but was actually told that I had to have it if I wanted sky glass which at the time seemed the best bet for me.

I'd love to have the time to spend hours researching when changing contracts but at 74 and currently caring for someone with Alzheimer's and another recovering from a very serious stroke I just don't have the time.   Sorry if that bugs all you nerds out there!

I've been with Sky for over 21 years and this has been such a negative experience this time changing my contract Sky is probably going the journey when the contract ends.  

This is my last message or reply relating to my first message which was actually the first time I've used Sky Community - probably my last!

Thank you - someone who seems to have similar experience to me.   

Misleading advertising - in my view that's a con!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion