Discussion topic: My glass TV is broken

This message was authored by Kayz33 This message was authored by: Kayz33

My glass TV is broken

My sky glass TV is broken due to an accident I need someone to take a look at it or send a replacement 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: My glass TV is broken

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kayz33 

You've purchased the set from the start, even if you are making monthly loan (re)payments.  That means insurance or other cover is your responsibility: Sky will sell you another one quite happily, but won't 'send a replacement' or ' someone to take a look at it'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Kayz33
Topic Author

Would I have to ring them up about this 

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Hi @Kayz33 

Sky have a repair partner ServiceTech. Please see: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-tv-repairs

However as @TimmyBGood has pointed out (and as per the info in that article) they do not provide screen repairs. The TV is your responsibility. You will need to contact sky for a price for a replacement unit (we are fellow subscribers) but this will be at a cost.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
Kayz33
Topic Author

Thank you 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kayz33 

Also note that unfortunately the loan repayments have to continue until the purchase price is repaid (or paid off as a lump sum) even if the set is broken beyond use. 

This message was authored by Samp117 This message was authored by: Samp117

I am intrigued on the fact that sky state the screen cannot be repaired (even by service partners). 

Are Sky aware of the 'right to repair' legislation that came into effect in March 2021?

They must provide components for simple repairs to the end customer, but must also supply more complex components for professional repairers. 

Whilst there is no law on what they can charge for these parts, if they refuse they are very much liable to a large government fine. 

I am currently investigating this after our 2 year old took a toy hammer to our sky glass tv! Obviously this is at my cost, there's no argument. But I would like to get it fixed instead of pay for a whole new tv. 

@Samp117 

I guess you could approach the designated 'repar partner' for a quote but it appears under the UK version of that legislation a manufacturer can legally choose to charge a company so much for a complex component that it and the labour required may well cost more than an entire new product.

https://www.slrconsulting.com/eur/insights/the-uk-s-right-to-repair-is-already-broken/ 

I'd note there's no actual requirement to repair, just to theoretically facilitate this.

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Hi @Samp117 

Screens aren't covered according to which? https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/new-right-to-repair-laws-introduced-what-do-they-actually-mean-...

According to that article they have to provide these parts To everyone for seven years:

-external power supply
-remote control

To professional repairers for a minimum of seven years:

-internal power supply

-connectors to connect external equipment (including cable, antenna, USB, DVD and Blu-ray)
-capacitors above 400 microfarads, batteries and accumulators
-DVD/Blu-ray module if applicable
-hard drive or solid state drive (HD/SSD) module if applicable

So this is consistent with what Sky say can be repaired and what parts can be replaced. But it may be worth seeking some independent advice rather than relay on unqualified comments on the forum.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion