Discussion topic: Local dimming issues

This message was authored by Danb5 This message was authored by: Danb5

Local dimming issues

I made a post not long ago about subtitles. But now I seem to notice more issues. 

local dimming makes black bars around films black which is good. But in HDR or DV content the local dimming is absolutely terrible. Constantly leaves ghosts on the screen and weird ghostly blobs, on D+ watching mandalorian or anything else makes it easy to see. Press play and pause and I have an expanding circle ghost appear around the play/pause button that lingers for a few seconds.

At the start of the mandalorian or any new Star Wars film with the heads that change I constantly see a ghostly outline from each of the heads and the logo, the screen has a greenish tint but around the heads and logo it's a black blob that expands and retracts. This also happens on many films on anything that is HDR. Turning off local dimming makes it watchable but the bars are now not black black.

anyone else have these issues. I will attach pictures momentarily. Because if no one else does then I'll be ringing up sky to complain once again.

All Replies

Danb5
Topic Author

Re: Local dimming issues

local dimming off
IMG_1973.jpeg

Local dimming on

IMG_1974.jpeg

IMG_1975.jpeg

IMG_1977.jpeg

image.jpg

Danb5
Topic Author

Also to note. Local dimming off seems to actually make the picture quality of DV content such as Disney + better.

custom settings, saturation 60, sharpness 25 rest default, D65, backlight 80. DV bright 

owned sky glass for almost half a year now. Am mostly impressed by the audio quality and picture was always average but since turning off local dimming it has made watching shows such as the mandalorian better, not sure if my local dimming unit or software is faulty. I did find normal HD TV and movies better to watch than HDR/DV content but now I am satisfied even though the blacks aren't black, but it's not an oled so that's fine. Considering this is a contract TV kinda sucks with the local dimming but meh I guess. This is already my 2nd replacement and don't think I want to go through the process again

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Danb5 

Audio on the glass is the selling point for me ...... it's great not having to have a separate soundbar ...... although I am fully aware its nowhere near the audio you can get from a surround system ! 

best of any tv I have ever owned 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion