Discussion topic: Lagging

This message was authored by Angi21 This message was authored by: Angi21

Lagging

Hi,

I've only had sky glass for a short period of time and there seems to be some lagging issues when trying to watch, pause, fast forward, rewind, change to another recording. There's a really slow lag on everything. It's super frustrating when your fast forwarding through programmes like adverts go to press stop and it continues to fast forward. Stops after a couple of seconds put then you got to go back to the start of the programme .

Anyone had any issues like this and know how to fix? 

Thank you ❤️ 

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: Lagging

Sky seem to using underpowered servers which can't keep up customer interaction.

Hopefully with time Sky will improve the performance of their system🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Angi21 

This is normal for Sky Glass. 
The whole operating system and all the apps are server based, not stored locally on the TV itself. This creates lag. 
Sky Glass requires patience whilst operating it. 

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

The faster your broadband, the faster the interaction will be. If you're running close to the minimum requirements, you may see more lag than others. We're on 500mbps connected by via Ethernet and our Puck is maxing out it's connection speed and the UI glides around seemlessly. The only lag is when loading apps but it's literally a couple of seconds.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yeah I agree with this. I don't see any unexpected lag on my setup either.

Are you connected via WiFi as it's possible some of the lagging is caused by this. I certainly let noticed lagging when using WiFi which is the reason I switched over to Ethernet to ensure there was a strong, consistent internet connection.

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

The faster your broadband, the faster the interaction will be. If you're running close to the minimum requirements, you may see more lag than others. We're on 500mbps connected by via Ethernet and our Puck is maxing out it's connection speed and the UI glides around seemlessly. The only lag is when loading apps but it's literally a couple of seconds.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Lag is subjective and has little to do with broadband speed in this instance. The quality of the user experience also depends on what other streaming devices you have used and the speed of their operation.  

Someone with a 74Mbps FTTC download speed can experience the same performance on Glass as someone on a 1Gigabit FTTP connection. 

Sky Glass has limited on board memory. If a user clicks between a lot of different apps in quick succession, the memory buffer can quickly fill and therefore has to slow down. 

If a user is patient and doesn't over-stress the system it can function well. Many customers have widely varying upload and download speeds and Sky's servers are busier at certain times of day than they are at others. No two users can experience the same speed of use because everyone uses it differently. 

Customers need to remember that Sky Glass is now quite a dated piece of tech - over two years old - and was designed and built in the early stages of the Covid pandemic. It has not been updated since. Newer (and some older) streaming devices from other manufacturers operate faster with less lag because they have more on-board memory, locally stored apps and no live channel streams to contend with. 

Sky Glass is a device built for convenience - everything all in one tidy box. It was never designed to be a high-end luxury product. It's mass-market and built to a budget. It works brilliantly for some people but can be a frustrating experience for others who have used quicker streaming products. 

This message was authored by Jugmeister This message was authored by: Jugmeister

Sorry to say, thats totally wrong, i have 500mb, it will only make a difference up to a certain speed if it isn't sufficient, i have to reboot quite regularly, also after a year the remotes are going also, so it has a long way to go to match sky q

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jugmeister Glass / Stream will never 'match' Q. It's an entirely different proposition. If they wanted to match Q they would have given it built in recording capability.

It would be good to understand how Sky Stream works from a technical perspective in terms of how media is served. I work in tech with a platform that deals with 9 billion transactions a week and we now use AWS. If I was establishing a new platform as this, I would never consider using my own servers and would use a cloud provider with a Content Delivery Network (CDN) eg AWS cloud front. As a non centralised proxy network delivers far better stability and reduces the hops across the internet.

In terms of the fast forwarding speed has a part to play up to a point. As you are fast forwarding it's downloading 'markers', i.e. the next way point to jump to, the quicker you can download these the smoother the experience, but you would hope that this is factored into the 30Mbps recommended speed Sky tout!

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion