Discussion topic: ITVX Again!

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: ITVX Again!

Left the puck off over night, powered up this morning and itvx is now loading. There is just no reasoning why I couldn't get it to load last night. As stated it worked OK on my 🍎 TV.

Weird 🤯

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Joe-Bow 

You raise a very good point and it is certainly hard to figure that out at times. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

I think the problem lies somewhere in the fact that all these third party apps are hosted on a remote server rather than being stored locally on the puck, like they are on a Firestick or Apple TV. 

These servers must be under a hell of a load & perhaps, at particularly busy times, they simply stop access temporarily for some people. 
I think it's also why the apps often feel quite laggy compared to those on other devices, and largely why I don't use them.
Purely speculating, but that's what it seems like to me. 

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@SlenderRobert 

I didn't even realise they were stored on a server. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@SlenderRobert 

Neither did I until a couple of months ago. Someone on these forums posted a link to a Comcast page describing the server-based approach to app hosting. It's supposed to make it easier for developers to update their apps without needing to make them platform specific. It means that all users have the same app versions as they don't need to update them - it's done at the server end. 

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

The server can be on the moon for all I care but when you are paying to use a service then it should in essence work!

Yes of course you'll get the odd blip and that's to be expected but every single day something faulters with Sky.

AD Skipping

CW Rail

Apps not loading

Puck freezes

Reboots

Subscription warning

Black screen

Programs not loaded

Incorrect information

Blue line

Etc 

Whether it's third party errors or not the service is provided on a Sky platform. Our subscription is with Sky and Sky need to get it sorted. 

That's another black mark against me but we are paying customers this isn't a free service!!!

@SlenderRobert 

Interesting there surely must be some platform specific requirements still though. Can't really see the huge benefits of this approach when it's only a small amount of apps anyway. 

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@SlenderRobert 

Interesting there surely must be some platform specific requirements still though. Can't really see the huge benefits of this approach when it's only a small amount of apps anyway. 

It also means they can save money on the hardware by not putting any flash storage in there to store the apps on. 

@SlenderRobert 

True but are talking a tiny saving there as there has to be flash memory already for the OS

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@SlenderRobert 

Neither did I until a couple of months ago. Someone on these forums posted a link to a Comcast page describing the server-based approach to app hosting. It's supposed to make it easier for developers to update their apps without needing to make them platform specific. It means that all users have the same app versions as they don't need to update them - it's done at the server end. 

@SlenderRobert Was me 😁  They're not full apps, they're PWAs (Progressive Web Apps), designed to work and look like Full fat apps, but delivered via Web services, using React,JS and Lightning as development frameworks.

Metrological is the Comcast company behind it.

@Joe-Bow 

Is this a Comcast only thing or are other platforms moving that way ? 

@CardiffMan1992  Loads of providers moving that way.  Keeps the hardware costs cheap and as the development of the app is now based around web services and browser based, the same code can be used across almost all platforms with almost no modifications required.

Metrological as a company sell this technology to any company that wants to use it, it's not Comcast exclusive.

@Joe-Bow 

Interesting thanks don't mind it if they can make it reliable and smooth. 

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@Joe-Bow 

Interesting thanks don't mind it if they can make it reliable and smooth. 

@CardiffMan1992  Agreed.  A lot depends on the chipset in the hardware and, of course, a fast and stable internet connection, the second of which  Sky can't control, which will always be an Achilles Heel in an IP based product.

Thanks @Joe-Bow for the much better explanation!

Here's the website which gives a bit more info on it if anyone else is interested:

https://www.metrological.com/ 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion