Discussion topic: Faint vertical lines on screen

This message was authored by KellyWestphal This message was authored by: KellyWestphal

Faint vertical lines on screen

I've had 65 inch sky glass TV for 1 week now & apart from the speaker cloth being loose in some areas I've also noticed that the picture quality of live TV is not very good.  Its very blocky & less smooth compared to my now 10 year old 50inch LG plasma TV (1080p)  I put my plasma TV in my bedroom & along with the sky puck in the bedroom the picture is alot smoother & not blocky at all.  Overall my old TV gives a far better picture while watching live TV than my Sky Glass TV does. 

The other thing I have noticed is there is sometimes faint vertical lines on screen when the picture is moving & also the colouration goes patchy like there's a delay in the colour catching up. It's like the colour tone changes in diffrent areas on the screen. My partner has tried changing all the settings & adjusting colour, picture back light settings etc.  Seeing all of this is very dishearting as I was under the impression that TV's have improved over the years & pictures got better when clearly they haven't. 

Are shops using high quality dvds or something as most the TV's in store have crystal clear pictures & my Sky Glass TV is far from being crystal clear. 

Also the puck in my bedroom is very laggy & the remote control is not as good as the old sky q remotes as I have to point it directly & sometimes have to push the buttons several times to get things to work. It's not really worth the £1200 im paying out imo.

Thanks, 

Kelly.  

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Faint vertical lines on screen

@KellyWestphal wrote:

I've had 65 inch sky glass TV for 1 week now & apart from the speaker cloth being loose in some areas I've also noticed that the picture quality of live TV is not very good.  Its very blocky & less smooth compared to my now 10 year old 50inch LG plasma TV (1080p)  I put my plasma TV in my bedroom & along with the sky puck in the bedroom the picture is alot smoother & not blocky at all.  Overall my old TV gives a far better picture while watching live TV than my Sky Glass TV does. 

The other thing I have noticed is there is sometimes faint vertical lines on screen when the picture is moving & also the colouration goes patchy like there's a delay in the colour catching up. It's like the colour tone changes in diffrent areas on the screen. My partner has tried changing all the settings & adjusting colour, picture back light settings etc.  Seeing all of this is very dishearting as I was under the impression that TV's have improved over the years & pictures got better when clearly they haven't. 

Are shops using high quality dvds or something as most the TV's in store have crystal clear pictures & my Sky Glass TV is far from being crystal clear. 

Also the puck in my bedroom is very laggy & the remote control is not as good as the old sky q remotes as I have to point it directly & sometimes have to push the buttons several times to get things to work. It's not really worth the £1200 im paying out imo.

Thanks, 

Kelly.  

TV's have improved over the years - there are many fantastic sets out there from various manufacturers that can be bought at bargain prices. Sky Glass is unfortunately not one of them. 

The tech used in Glass is a basic backlit LED LCD VA panel. The hardware itself hasn't been updated in the two years since release. IMHO it's wildly over-priced, particularly the 65" model, as you can buy a similar sized OLED TV for less money which is much more versatile and with picture quality that blows Glass out of the water. 

You have to remember that Glass has been built to a budget. It's a mass produced, mass market product, designed to appeal to those that want everything in one place, simple. It suits many people perfectly well but if it's quality you're after then you can get much better value elsewhere.

The vertical lines you can see are a fairly common issue in many cheap backlit LCD TV's. It's known as vertical banding and can be due to poorly made and badly fitted backlight arrangements. All LCD TV's can suffer from it to varying degrees. 

The Stream pucks are sadly not much better IMHO. They are slow and laggy compared to most other dedicated modern streaming devices. Again this is largely down to the mass produced on a budget factor. 

Only you can decide whether you think you've got value for money. Personally I wouldn't be happy spending over a thousand pounds on a Glass TV for it to have "speaker cloth loose in some areas" after a week. These things already have a very poor resale value (just look on eBay) so it doesn't bode well for when you want to get rid of it. 

If I were you I would seriously consider whether you can live with this TV for the next however many years. You've only had it a week. You have 31 days from activation to return it for a full refund. 

KellyWestphal
Topic Author
This message was authored by KellyWestphal This message was authored by: KellyWestphal

@SlenderRobert thank you for your reply. 

You have made good points & I trust what you say to be true. I think that I will look into other brands of TV's first before I make my final decision to return my sky glass tv. 

My partner looked prior to us getting Sky Glass & he always thought Samsung would be the way to go. But after reading people's reviews online that Samsung are using cheaper components now put him off.  So perhaps Sony or even Panasonic. I believe Panasonic is the better brand but when looked they are alot more pricey compared to other brands. 

Thanks, 

Kelly

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@KellyWestphal 

No problem, glad it was useful. 

Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, and Philips are all worth looking into. Panasonic OLEDs too tend to be pricier but they, along with LG, tend to win the awards for best picture quality in recent years. The good thing about them is that the previous year's models get heavily discounted at certain times of the year. I got a top spec Panasonic OLED for less than half its initial release price once the newer models were released. The opposite has happened with Sky Glass. It hasn't had any hardware improvements in 2 years yet has actually increased in price.

There was a very good Philips Ambilight OLED on sale recently for less than £1000 - it was 65" and had all the flavours of HDR, a 120Hz panel, VRR and other features which Glass doesn't have so it's worth spending a bit of time doing some research before you decide what to do. 

Good luck!  

KellyWestphal
Topic Author

@SlenderRobert  I will most certainly look. Good point mentioning previous year models. I never thought of that. 

Thank you very much! 😁

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Also check whether the TV has all the apps you will want to access TV streaming services.

LG TVs are especially good in this area as the remotes have 4 dedicated service buttons and 8 programmable buttons... a single button press takes you between streaming services. There's no need to use the menu system!

LG TVs also support the full Freeview service and Freesat epg, and HDDs can be connected to make recordings of those channels.

Exiled in HH
KellyWestphal
Topic Author

@SlenderRobert  I bought a new  Panasonic tv today & it will be delivered this Monday. 😁

I phoned sky & actually had a nice helpful man on the phone. I said I would like to return my Sky Glass TV & Puck. No questions asked, will be collected this Monday which is great as it gets it our of the way for my new TV. 

I still have my Sky Q & Sky Q mini boxes so I am going back to that prefered set-up. It works best for us. The guy even gave me a great package deal. Cheaper than my last contract for exactly all the same subscriptions.  Entertainment, Movies, HD, Premium Netflix, Multiform. Before I got the Skt Stream they were wanting 25% more than I was originally paying. It just goes to show it all depends on who you are talking to on the telephone at Sky. I couldn't be feeling any happier now. 😊

Picture of the Panasonic I purchased today. £1399 not bad I thought. 😃

Polish_20230922_135945816.jpg

@KellyWestphal 

Bravo - that is an excellent choice of TV and at a very good price I'd say! 

Yes, it does depend a lot on who you speak to at Sky but I'm glad you got it all sorted. 

Enjoy! 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KellyWestphal wrote:

Are shops using high quality dvds or something as most the TV's in store have crystal clear pictures

Demo mode / Store mode is typically on-board 4K data optimised for the television display panel in question being played back with carefully chosen picture settings.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion