Discussion topic: Channel 4 Watch from Start frequently breaking

This message was authored by gpb156 This message was authored by: gpb156

Re: Channel 4 Watch from Start frequently breaking

Had the same problem, seems to be only on bake off. Bit annoying that sky just blaming c4

This message was authored by Scottie16 This message was authored by: Scottie16

I've had this issue when trying to restart 4 in a bed.  The only way I've managed to resolve it is to pause on the live stream for a bit, then click start from beginning. It stops it crashing most times.

richbishop
Topic Author
This message was authored by richbishop This message was authored by: richbishop

FYI... we also spotted an issue with Big Brother Friday night evictions... because it's simultaneously on ITV and ITV2 - "Watch from Start" wasn't available on ITV, you had to find the ITV2 version to make it work

Back to the topic at hand though...
We're 18 posts into this now - and multiple people are reporting the same issues with one of the UK's most watched programmes, happening every week. 

How do we get Sky to take it seriously?

Because even if it is a Channel 4 problem (which I very much doubt, because unlike BBC, "Watch from Start" doesn't use the 4 App, it uses Sky's interface at least)... surely Sky are involved in the mix here, and need to explain to Channel 4 how to solve it.

This message was authored by Debbus This message was authored by: Debbus

I'm having the same issue tonight for the final. it takes me to the signed version.

I really want to watch it tonight because it'll be in the papers tomorrow who won. I am now trying to stream on Channel 4 and I get a 3031 – deep link – programme error

I have so many issues with Skyglass, it's really not fit for purpose

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Using the watch from start on bake off wil get you the signed version. This is because when you use the watch from start option on Channel 4 it switches over to using the feed from the Channel 4 app. for bake off this is the signed version of the show, that's why you are seeeing it.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

richbishop
Topic Author
This message was authored by richbishop This message was authored by: richbishop

Funnily enough @MarkGoldsmith - this evening, it's all worked perfectly.

And I'm not sure it does just the app version - because the app doesn't support live/delayed start. BBC iPlayer - absolutely, yes. But with all other channels it seems to be the standard Sky player - so my assumption would be it's the same tech Sky use for all other channels.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I've seen the signed version of bake off issue before with the watch from start and I know that channel 4 stream the signed version on the channel 4 app version as the same time it's going out live of channel 4. So the only explanation for that is for some reason it switches to the streamed version from the app when you click the watch from start.

NOT a Sky Employee

richbishop
Topic Author

Ah, I see the confusion @MarkGoldsmith.

Those of us who are seeing the signed version, aren't seeing an app version, we're seeing the signed simulcast on "4Seven" - because Channel 4 are showing it on both simultaneously... But 4Seven has signing

Yeah it's also the streamed version apparently according to the channel 4 website. Which just adds to the confusion.

NOT a Sky Employee

richbishop
Topic Author

But it says "47" in the corner, so it's definitely that version we're seeing, @MarkGoldsmith.

Although... As I say... Not for us tonight, thankfully 🎉

(But by the looks of it, it has happened for some viewers tonight, so it seems to be random as well, which isn't helpful.😞)

This message was authored by dcmprince This message was authored by: dcmprince

Just sat down to watch f1 quali and pressed "watch from start" and half way through it crashed and exited back to live tv.... keeps happening it's utter crap, also a film on sky showcase if I want to watch that from the start I have to pay for sky cinema, even though it's showing on a channel I already pay for.... sky you bunch of money grabbing **bleep**

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion