Discussion topic: Channel 4 Watch from Start frequently breaking

This message was authored by richbishop This message was authored by: richbishop

Channel 4 Watch from Start frequently breaking

Is anyone else having reliability issues with "Watch from start" on Channel 4.

So far we've noticed that it's never an option on the first episode of a new series (spotted on Taskmaster, Bake Off, Bake Off Extra Slice).

But also... Tonight, trying to restart The Great British Bake Off and instead of Channel 4, it kept showing 47's signed version instead.

I'm struggling to work out how to report these issues to Sky, as I'd imagine it'll just be a case of reconfiguring something at their end. I don't blame them for not being able to fix something they don't know about... How can I let them know?

All Replies

This message was authored by OldMark This message was authored by: OldMark

Re: Channel 4 Watch from Start frequently breaking

You just have done and explained it well. I just tried it with Gogglebox (which I never watch btw!) and it worked fine but that means little regarding new series and stuff. Sounds a bit like the TV is a bit faulty  but hopefully you'll get better help.

---------------
Sky Glass, Naim Audio, Cottage in the Pennines, 1 dog, 2 cats, & me!
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@richbishop I can't say I have ever experienced the issue you describe with Ch4.  Try rebooting your system  To do this switch off your Glass or Stream puck at the plug socket and wait for a minute before switching it on again.  It will take about a minute to reboot.

Also reset the apps in the following menu: Settings > system management > resets & updates > Refresh Appa.  The refresh will carry on in the background so you can still use your Glass or puck.

If that doesn't resolve thge issue report the matter to Viewer Relations at viewerR@sky.u

Good luck

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
richbishop
Topic Author
This message was authored by richbishop This message was authored by: richbishop

Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately that hasn't been the solution (despite several attempts at reboots and refreshes - 20+ years of offering the same advice), as I'm fairly sure it's a meta data issue at Sky's end, where under certain specific circumstances, programmes are missed, or misconfigured.

When you say you've not experienced the problem - is that in the context of the specific examples I gave? Or just in general?

In general it seems fine. But in those examples something wasn't right - which is why I think they're edge cases that someone at Sky needs to know about to build it into their test plans for future releases.

This message was authored by slaters This message was authored by: slaters

@OldMark 
we watched bake off last night using the watch from start option with no problems ? 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@richbishop Oh, I have problems from time to time just like anyone else but I have not encountered the issue you describe with the watch from start on Ch4.  It's ages since I had a problem that wasn't resolved by a reboot (by coincidence I had to reboot last night).

In general terms if I have an issue with a specific App I find if I close it and open something else for a couple of seconds and then return to the original App it clears the problem. It's a work around rather than a solution though.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
richbishop
Topic Author

That's good news.

Just to check... Were you able to watch the Channel 4 version, or did you get the 47 version with BSL signing?

We could get the BSL version, but, not the original Channel 4 one - regardless of how we tried to "Watch from start"

@richbishop it was the ch4 version of bake off that came up via watch from start, not the sighned version. 

richbishop
Topic Author

@slaters Very interesting. Thank you! Are you on Stream or Glass?

@richbishop Glass 

richbishop
Topic Author

Thanks @slaters - so it might be a Stream issue, rather than a Glass one. Or maybe just an "us" issue.

Thanks for jumping in and helping!

This message was authored by Chawkie_b This message was authored by: Chawkie_b

We are getting the same issue with Bake off tonight, watch from start is coming up as he signed version, same goes for watching from playlist on Stream.

Wasn't an issue from Playlist last week

richbishop
Topic Author

We have a repeat of the issue tonight. We can only get the signed version - despite choosing the Channel 4 version from the TV Guide.

I'd imagine the issue is that the box can't tell the difference between the two versions - something that should be fixable by Sky.

Even though last week it was fine for us and we got the the Ch4 version this week we got the signed version on 4/7 we even tried doing it a couple of times ? 

@richbishop 

I contacted Sky about the issue of getting the signed vsrsion and they came back and basically said its nothing to do with them, its down to Ch4 which vesrion they attatch to the watch from start feature and not sky. 

Not very helpful. I said are you not even going to bring it up with Ch4 as it is on your system/platform ? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion