Discussion topic: Changing to Virgin Broadband but dates mean gap in service

This message was authored by Bigkenny1975 This message was authored by: Bigkenny1975

Changing to Virgin Broadband but dates mean gap in service

I'm currently in the process of transitioning from Sky to Virginmedia as my broadband provider. However, there's a two-day gap between when Sky will be switching off, and Virginmedia will be activating their services. To maintain my TV connection during this period, I've tested using a 4G router, and it seems to work fine.

My only concern now is how much data I might use during these two days. The SIM card I plan to use in the router has 70GB of data. Can anyone provide insights or advice on whether this would be sufficient to keep my TV running smoothly during the transition?

Best Answers
This message was authored by DanielF1987 This message was authored by: DanielF1987 Answer

Re: Changing to Virgin Broadband but dates mean gap in service

What I did was ordered a "used" 5g router off Amazon, then went on a £20 Smarty plan.

I used it for 5 days, returned the router to Amazon, then went on live chat with Smarty and put in a

cancellation request (you can do within 31 days) so I only paid for 5 days data.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Bigkenny1975 wrote:

I'm currently in the process of transitioning from Sky to Virginmedia as my broadband provider. However, there's a two-day gap between when Sky will be switching off, and Virginmedia will be activating their services. To maintain my TV connection during this period, I've tested using a 4G router, and it seems to work fine.

My only concern now is how much data I might use during these two days. The SIM card I plan to use in the router has 70GB of data. Can anyone provide insights or advice on whether this would be sufficient to keep my TV running smoothly during the transition?

It'll depend on what you watch and for how long you watch it but I'd steer clear of any UHD content as that'll suck up your 70Gb pretty darn quickly.... if it can even stream it over your 4G connection. 

Maybe just read a book for a couple of days. It's actually quite fun. 

Bigkenny1975
Topic Author
This message was authored by Bigkenny1975 This message was authored by: Bigkenny1975

I'd be fine with a book but my wife and kids may kill each other without TV. I might upgrade to unlimited data for a month as it is a rolling contract SIM

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Bigkenny1975 wrote:

I'd be fine with a book but my wife and kids may kill each other without TV. I might upgrade to unlimited data for a month as it is a rolling contract SIM

That sounds like a plan. 👍

This message was authored by DanielF1987 This message was authored by: DanielF1987 Answer

What I did was ordered a "used" 5g router off Amazon, then went on a £20 Smarty plan.

I used it for 5 days, returned the router to Amazon, then went on live chat with Smarty and put in a

cancellation request (you can do within 31 days) so I only paid for 5 days data.

Bigkenny1975
Topic Author

@DanielF1987 wrote:

I have a 4G Router already and it seems to work with no problems. I love the Smarty idea though. Thanks!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion