Discussion topic: Can you plug a Sky Stream box into Sky Glass?

This message was authored by Ampersand This message was authored by: Ampersand

Can you plug a Sky Stream box into Sky Glass?

A bit of an odd question, but I was with Sky 2 years ago but left to join Virgin Media, now I'd like to rejoin Sky again. I have a Sky Glass TV already (paid off), but the cost of reactivating my Sky Entertainment service is more than getting a Sky Stream box instead.

Can you use Sky Stream plugged into a HDMI port on Sky Glass? Do the remotes work as they're both identical? Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Can you plug a Sky Stream box into Sky Glass?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ampersand  yes it will work providing the tv has an active account assigned to it and the stream puck plus the tv subscription is also assigned to the same account , you will also need the whole home support subscription as you are using more than one device on a single account 

I don't know about the remote situation I'm afraid 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Why would the TV need an account if it is not connected to the internet/Sky servers?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Why would the TV need an account if it is not connected to the internet/Sky servers?

@Exiled-in-HH  because sky pucks won't work on a glass tv that isn't linked to an active account as mentioned on the link below, this happens also been verified by sky in the closed forum 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-without-a-subscription

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

I don't  see how paying £40 for a sky puck plus the subscription  to what sky pack you want is cheaper, than just doing  a subscription on the tv as the subscription  is the same 

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Plus £13 a month  for whole home  subscription if you  have a puck

So if you  order  a puck you will  still  be paying  a subscription  which ever you  use tv, or puck the subscription  is no different  

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH  because sky pucks won't work on a glass tv that isn't linked to an active account as mentioned on the link below, this happens also been verified by sky in the closed forum 

So a Sky Puck can't work when attached to a Sky Glass TV?

Supposedly according to your link a Sky Glass without a subscription works as a "normal" TV ...  except when a Sky Puck is attached🤔

Exiled in HH
Ampersand
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ampersand This message was authored by: Ampersand

Thanks for the replies, we're still confused as we have previously been a Sky subscriber - we bought the Sky Glass TV upfront - are we now a new customer if we try to rejoin?

We were offered £57 to reactivate our Sky Glass TV with broadband included. But looking at the Sky website, they offer Sky Stream for only £45 for the exact same package. As the TV has been paid off, surely I can just buy a Sky Stream as a new customer and plug it in to my Sky Glass?

Not sure, I think you would  probably  be better  ringing  sky and talking  to them 

As I am not sure if the puck will  work on the tv I am confused too, and how long does that offer run for to

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

A subscription puck works just fine on a non-subscription Glass television set: why wouldn't it?

What gets confused are the remotes.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Ampersand wrote:

Thanks for the replies, we're still confused as we have previously been a Sky subscriber - we bought the Sky Glass TV upfront - are we now a new customer if we try to rejoin?

We were offered £57 to reactivate our Sky Glass TV with broadband included. But looking at the Sky website, they offer Sky Stream for only £45 for the exact same package. As the TV has been paid off, surely I can just buy a Sky Stream as a new customer and plug it in to my Sky Glass?

You need to have been away from Sky for 2 years in order to qualify as a new customer.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Supposedly according to your link a Sky Glass without a subscription works as a "normal" TV ...  except when a Sky Puck is attached🤔

If you have a sky glass tv and cancel the subscription you can still retain your sky account ...... the tv becomes a semi smart tv with access to the apps and hdmi ports only. Sky send a new remote with updated app buttons. If you also cancel the sky account then the tv becomes inactive and when you power on has a message along the lines of "activate the tv with your sky account"

hence the low resale value as they can't be activated unless a buyer has a sky account / subscription that they can use to activate 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

If you have a sky glass tv and cancel the subscription you can still retain your sky account ...... the tv becomes a semi smart tv with access to the apps and hdmi ports only. Sky send a new remote with updated app buttons. If you also cancel the sky account then the tv becomes inactive and when you power on has a message along the lines of "activate the tv with your sky account"

hence the low resale value as they can't be activated unless a buyer has a sky account / subscription that they can use to activate 

A Sky Glass TV not attached to the internet has working HDMI ports and a working DTT tuner ... are you saying a Sky Puck can not be attached to the Sky Glass TV for a working Sky Stream service🤔

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion