Discussion topic: And it's a Good Bye from Me πŸ˜‰

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: And it's a Good Bye from Me πŸ˜‰

@SlenderRobert I too am a very long term ATV 4K user, but it has taken me a while to convince the rest of the family to see the light.  NOW will only be used for programs that the rest of the family are into, such as Portals from Hell and other such trash (but don't let them hear me say that) and these are not in 5.1.   We are mainly a streaming family (Disney, Netflix, Prime etc.), hence the switch to Glass in the first place.  I think as time goes on we are likely to drop NOW especially as some of the items we watch are with Showtime or HBO and of course they are likey to end up on their own stream app when contract ends.  The announcement last night that Showtime and Paramount+ will be under one brand and one service in the USA will no doubt hop over to europe and the UK at somepoint.  

I could bring the older OLED LG back downstairs, but its now used for gaming and TV.  SO it could be an good excuse to purchase a new TV for the living room.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Anonymous 

Ah yes, similar to me. The rest of the family were ready to riot when I said we were getting rid of Q but it very quickly became apparent that nobody really needed to record anything. Our ATV 4K box was used pretty regularly for all the apps anyway - everyone has their own profile and uses the Siri remote all the time. When I got Stream in October I thought it might take over in popularity but everyone hates how slow and unreliable it is so it now lies dormant for days on end. It gets fired up every now and again for the odd Sky-only show but everything else now comes from the ATV. 

Setting up a US iTunes account too allowed me to download HBO Max & Peacock USA, and coupled with an insanely cheap Smart DNS service (which only requires one settings change on the ATV) we get all the HBO stuff in 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos and tons of brilliant Peacock stuff. 

The tvOS on Apple TV is simply just easy and a pleasure to use, oh and it just works. Unlike Stream. 

Topic Author

Sat quietly in the spare room having an hours peace and the Glass fired itself up!

Checked it is on QS0014.

Omen!

This message was authored by Jong99 This message was authored by: Jong99

@Anonymous wrote:

Thankfully, Apple TV has added support for Automatic Dynamic Range Switching (ADR) and Automatic Frame Rate Switching (AFRS). These new features let your TV automatically switch between display modes based on the current picture quality. In the past, your Apple TV would just pick up the highest refresh rate available, which would upscale content to 4K.

Sounds like we are all in a very similar boat with a very similar solution! I too am back to using Apple TV for all my premium ad-free services.

I will hang on to Stream at least for the 18 months initial contract, if only for UHD Sky TV. But, as also mentioned, around then I expect nearly all Sky exclusive TV (I e. HBO and Showtime) to migrate to regular streaming apps, so at that point Stream will be hanging on by it's fingertips, unless something drastic happens between now and then!

One thing that confused me though was your quote above. I've been using Dynamic Range and Frame Rate matching on my ATV 4K since 2016. It's been there since the beginning and always been great.

@SlenderRobert interested to know what smart dns you used, also don't you need a US address for a US iTunes account?

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the call out on new Apple TV beta i wasn't aware of that i will seriously consider moving back to NOW it's such a shame about Stream.

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@Anonymous  Congrats on making the move.

I have now been of glass/stream for a month or so now and haven't looked back.

I am now literally only using my LG tv for everything no boxes nothing.

I have watched many things on NowTV with boost and the PQ is great on the OLED TV.

I use Plex with a HDHomerun for any live tv I need (which I have hardly needed) as the catchup apps work flawlessly,  not a single reboot, no annoying ad's with NOWTV mid way nothing! All works fantastically without the stupid price tag to beta test some shoddy product.

Literally the only thing I have "Missed" so far is that NowTV lacks some channels namely Nat Geo I am an aircrash investigation fan but it's worth the miss to get rid of Stream.

Hope it all goes well ex-Sky!

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@techman9 
you ll be back ......... third time is a charm πŸ˜‚

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Anonymous wrote:

@SlenderRobert interested to know what smart dns you used, also don't you need a US address for a US iTunes account?

I'll PM you. 

Topic Author

@SlenderRobert - Thanks, look forward to receiving it. 

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

We appreciate everyone's contribution throughput our boards, however this particular thread has reached it's natural conclusion and therefore I've closed it.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion