Discussion topic: Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome

This message was authored by JamPV This message was authored by: JamPV

Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome

I login to my Sky account every day to check email.  I have done for the last two years and not had an issue.  Today I tried login and recieved an error about the browser not accepting Sky cookies.  I'm using chrome by the way.  I've deleted all exisitng cookies, closed down and reopened the browser, checked I'm not in incognito mode and I still can't login on chrome.  I get the error below

Please carefully check your details. If this problem continues, contact customer services. Error: 289

I can login without any issue on firefox so this is chrome specific.  Am I missing a setting somewhere that I need to unblock?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you tried disabling ALL chrome extensions?

Edit: DuckDuckGo Extenstion causing an issue

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Is your version of chrome up to date?

JamPV
Topic Author

Hi @Annie+UK Thanks for your reply.  The version wasn't up to date but it is now.  I'm now on version Version 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit).  I closed the browser and reopened it. 

I'm still getting the same error as below - Please carefully check your details. If this problem continues, contact customer services. Error: 289 - when I try to log in.

Not sure what's up with Chrome but I swapped to Firefox (via Ubuntu Linux) some time ago and have not been disappointed so far

JamPV
Topic Author

Thanks @Annie+UK appreciate your replies here.  I might have to go with firefox.  I didn't change anything on chrome and it doesn't let me log in to Sky.  No other website is having an issue.  It's reall strange.

I have escalated your post to a Sky Staff Expert

Check out the link below that explains the process
Escalating a post to a Sky expert

JamPV
Topic Author

Thanks @Annie+UK Appreciate that.

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@JamPV wrote:

I login to my Sky account every day to check email.  I have done for the last two years and not had an issue.  Today I tried login and recieved an error about the browser not accepting Sky cookies.  I'm using chrome by the way.  I've deleted all exisitng cookies, closed down and reopened the browser, checked I'm not in incognito mode and I still can't login on chrome.  I get the error below

Please carefully check your details. If this problem continues, contact customer services. Error: 289

I can login without any issue on firefox so this is chrome specific.  Am I missing a setting somewhere that I need to unblock?

Exactly the same thing has happened to me! I can't log in to any Sky web page via Chrome. I get the same Error 289, despite not having changed a thing.

I've tried resetting Chrome, clearing all cookies and resetting settings but nothing works. Only Sky websites are affected. 

Did you find out a solution?

JamPV
Topic Author

Hi @fizzdisco 

No solution yet.  As above in the thread it's been escalated.  I've deleted everything I can, googled solutions, closed and reopened my browser and still can't login.  I don't like to come up with the 'I didn't change anything' line but I really have logged into that site daily for a couple of years, no settings have changed and now I can't.  All the other sites I use that require a login are unaffected.

@JamPV wrote:

Hi @fizzdisco 

No solution yet.  As above in the thread it's been escalated.  I've deleted everything I can, googled solutions, closed and reopened my browser and still can't login.  I don't like to come up with the 'I didn't change anything' line but I really have logged into that site daily for a couple of years, no settings have changed and now I can't.  All the other sites I use that require a login are unaffected.

I'm exactly the same. I login to the forum here daily and never had a problem until yesterday. I've deleted all my cookies, removed and re-installed Chrome but no change. Very odd. It's something to do with cookie permissions I think because I can login if I use Incognito mode on Chrome - then up pops the permissions window which I can click accept on, then I can log in. The problem is the permissions window doesn't open on the standard browser window. Very odd. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Edit: DuckDuckGo Extenstion causing an issue

@Annie+UK wrote:

You are a GENIUS. Just tried that and it now works! How strange. I'll try turning them back on one by one and find the culprit... 

Thanks v. much!

JamPV
Topic Author

@Annie+UKI disabled all of them then I could login into Sky on chrome.  When I switched back on I couldn't login.  Is is one extension that will be blocking me or do they all need to be disabled?

This message was authored by Forest66 This message was authored by: Forest66

Exactly the same for me too. use auto sign in and have done for years into Sky account yet now keeps saying error number 289 . saying it's about my cookie settings but I havent changed a thing 

@fizzdisco wrote:

@Annie+UK wrote:

You are a GENIUS. Just tried that and it now works! How strange. I'll try turning them back on one by one and find the culprit... 

Thanks v. much!

Na, I'm just good at logical problem solving, you said "Incognito mode  worked" that pointed me to the possible cause 🙂

Give us a shout when you identify the culprit 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion