Discussion topic: Sky VIP and PC.

This message was authored by Iknownothing This message was authored by: Iknownothing

Sky VIP and PC.

Sky keep sending me emails, saying I am a SKY Diamond VIP and to look at my rewards.  The help pages always refer you to downloading the app onto your mobile to see your rewards. I dont have a mobile that I can run apps on and there doesent look to be a PC equivalent.  I do all my online things from a home PC. So is there any way round this issue bearing in mind I dont use or want a smart phone.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky VIP and PC.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Iknownothing wrote:

I do all my online things from a home PC. So is there any way round this issue bearing in mind I dont use or want a smart phone.

The only suggested workaround is to install an Android emulator, then Google Play (with an associated Google account), and then the My Sky app.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Iknownothing wrote:

I do all my online things from a home PC. So is there any way round this issue bearing in mind I dont use or want a smart phone.

The only suggested workaround is to install an Android emulator, then Google Play (with an associated Google account), and then the My Sky app.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@TimmyBGood wrote:
The only suggested workaround is to install an Android emulator

Nox or Bluestacks are two such programs as these will then let you install the MySky app which is needed for Sky VIP. If you don't want to do this then being honest you are not really missing anything with Sky VIP !

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Iknownothing
Topic Author
This message was authored by Iknownothing This message was authored by: Iknownothing

Thanks for the info.    Looks to be a lot of hastle downloading emulators onto a PC  just to see "rewards" which may or may not be of any interest to me.  Why are these big companys fixated that everyone wants to use a smart phone to log into services "on the go", and at the same time exclude people like myself who are perfectly happy using a home computer and dont want to use a smart phone.

This message was authored by Dave2048 This message was authored by: Dave2048

I'm in the same position. I get so frustrated that Sky only allow people using the app to access the rewards, when not all of us can use it on our phones. It's almost discriminatory against older people, poor people, and those that can't use (don't want to use) the apps for other reasons.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Dave2048 

A possible work around has already been posted so have you tried this ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Iknownothing
Topic Author

I already go online and look at my SKY account etc,  online via my desktop PC as it is. 

Thanks for the workaround, but to go down the route of having to install an emulator on the PC  and then go through Google apps and download another app  (Sky)  just to see rewards I may or may not be interested in, is just a step to far.    

Sky are obviously pushing customers to use their mobile app in preference to a PC, which is something I am unwilling to do. As someone has previously mentioned is it discriminatory, I dont really know.

I also have to wonder about SKY customer service, as they look to prefer you going down the community forum route for answers, rather than contacting then directly.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Iknownothing wrote:

Sky are obviously pushing customers to use their mobile app in preference to a PC

Well, yes: duplicating access to 'VIP' both in-app and through a browser interface would be a substantial extra piece of both development time and ongoing support & maintenance, particularly once that's ruled out initially in favour of an app-only approach.

Also worth noting that VIP was launched in 2017 which was a period when app-only was more-or-less assumed.

Iknownothing
Topic Author

I have followed the " SKY VIP launch" link, and I know it sounds like I am having a bit of a rant, but, and I quote "“Sky has always been a customer led company and the launch of Sky VIP is about putting our existing customers first and showing we value their loyalty."  Pity they didn’t think about their existing customers who don’t use mobile apps.    Rant over.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Iknownothing wrote:

Pity they didn’t think about their existing customers who don’t use mobile apps.

Unfortunately app developers (and marketing people) don't know anyone who doesn't live entirely through their smartphone....

This message was authored by Dave2048 This message was authored by: Dave2048

hi caesarome,

thanks for the reply and suggestion, however I'm of the same opinion as many who don't have the phones to use the Sky app. I don't want to install and mess about with configuring an emulator just so I can use 1 app. It's such a waste of time and effort and should be unnecessary. Moving to just using an app shows a lack of consideration for people like us, driven by naive marketing strategy rather than development direction. Especially when the back end would be the same, and the front end having the option to re-use existing code.   PPP in my view.
Anyway I'm grateful for the suggestion. Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion