Discussion topic: Duplicated answers

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Re: Duplicated answers

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@TechmanagerMal I'm probably going to appear stupid but how do you delete a post you've just added and then realised someone beat you to it 😂

• I would use the edit function and add a note if necessary, you have a limited but reasonable time to do so.
  • Someone once referred to this somewhat irreverently as a p...ing contest among the regulars to get the most points.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ah I thought I was missing something new there. Thanks @TechmanagerMal 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TechmanagerMal 'someone beat you to it' was probably a poor phase to use on my part. I'm not in it for the points. After all, points don't mean prizes. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Locking a post while someone replies isn't something which happens on any forum I've ever used.

It goes against the basic principles of how a forum should work - they're to encourage all to discuss topics. Locking a topic for x minutes while someone might be replying would completely destroy that.

For example, if I post saying "BBC 1 HD has audio dropouts - anyone else seeing it?", then each person takes a few minutes to reply, it would take hours to build up a representative sample.

If you think people are posting just for points and not to help discussions, the answer is simple. Use the report button.

The Community Managers will review the report and take action if they agree - they've done so in the past.

As for deleting your own posts - again, use the report button if you're past the edit time limit.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@rscott wrote:

Locking a post while someone replies isn't something which happens on any forum I've ever used.

It goes against the basic principles of how a forum should work - they're to encourage all to discuss topics. Locking a topic for x minutes while someone might be replying would completely destroy that.

For example, if I post saying "BBC 1 HD has audio dropouts - anyone else seeing it?", then each person takes a few minutes to reply, it would take hours to build up a representative sample.

If you think people are posting just for points and not to help discussions, the answer is simple. Use the report button.

The Community Managers will review the report and take action if they agree - they've done so in the past.

As for deleting your own posts - again, use the report button if you're past the edit time limit.

• All good points well made, thanks for the reply. Can I discuss them individually?
  • Perhaps consider the like button as a "me too" counter?
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@rscott wrote:

• It has been said in the past and is not my opinion.
  • Wouldn't reporting that and its use as a delete option add to the workload of an already overstretched management team?

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@rscott wrote:

• I was thinking more like X seconds, which would warn posters the question was "under review" but I take your point.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal wrote:

@rscott wrote:

• I was thinking more like X seconds, which would warn posters the question was "under review" but I take your point.

• Just another thought on this matter, the Facebook Groups and the likes of Whatsapp "someone is typing" message might be a helpful option on here?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion