Discussion topic: Duplicated answers

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Duplicated answers

• I have suggested before that when a post is being replied to it should not simultaneously be accessible for answer by another member yet duplicated answers still continue to occur, some several minutes apart.
  • Can I revisit my point by offering all contributors the suggestion that it is better to delete your duplicate answer when it's discovered, click on like in agreement and move on to the next question?
  • I have seen this done on here and applaud the courtesy and acknowledge the improvement in using the forum as an information source.
  • Just saying.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Duplicated answers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Personally I avoid posting if an answer has already been given unless I can add to it meaningfully, but to be honest I don't think it's an issue if a thread ends up with multiple similar answers. From the OP's perspective, similar answers may simply validate each other. Ultimately it's an informal space and community members can post as they wish, within the community rules, of course.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Mark39 wrote:

Personally I avoid posting if an answer has already been given unless I can add to it meaningfully, but to be honest I don't think it's an issue if a thread ends up with multiple similar answers. From the OP's perspective, similar answers may simply validate each other. Ultimately it's an informal space and community members can post as they wish, within the community rules, of course.

• Those I refer to are exactly the same content but phrased slightly differently, as you say no need to answer if you have nothing to add.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

I find this thread somewhat ironic, what your complaining about your guilty of a fair few times, there are many threads here where you have replied hours or even days later giving the advice already posted but just worded slightly different, for example https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Extending-wifi/m-p/3709973#M256112

If it annoys you when people post duplicate advice why are you doing it?

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@daveNOS wrote:

I find this thread somewhat ironic, what your complaining about your guilty of a fair few times, there are many threads here where you have replied hours or even days later giving the advice already posted but just worded slightly different, for example https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Extending-wifi/m-p/3709973#M256112

• Good to hear from you @daveNOS. Your link points to an altogether different issue than that which the other posts address.
  • I am suggesting that if and only if the "help with poor WiFi signal in my house" referred to by @HeidiB88 was a connectivity issue with Sky Q then this was the way to proceed.
  • In answer to "why", I try not to and remove my posts unless they add something if I spot them and move on, but I do feel that taking ownership of the thread temporarily would be a better way.
  • You appear to have done your research into my contributions on the forum and I trust you have laughed a little and learned something while doing so?
  •  

@TechmanagerMal The thread I linked to has you offering the same advice just worded differently, something that you you others shouldn't do.

I have learnt precisely zero from your posts and find nothing amusing at all from them apart from the irony, if you go back through your posts(something I haven't done) I can guarantee there will be loads of posts from you made hours or days after others with exactly the same advice offered just worded slightly different, the only reason I haven' said anything before in other threads is because I didn't want to derail them.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@daveNOS wrote:

@TechmanagerMal The thread I linked to has you offering the same advice just worded differently, something that you you others shouldn't do.

I have learnt precisely zero from your posts and find nothing amusing at all from them apart from the irony, if you go back through your posts(something I haven't done) I can guarantee there will be loads of posts from you made hours or days after others with exactly the same advice offered just worded slightly different, the only reason I haven' said anything before in other threads is because I didn't want to derail them.

• Pity you didn't help me out as a "Newbie" by pointing that out, as I have seen others do in the past but am unable to substantiate at the moment.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@TechmanagerMal  You'll find  many duplicated answers are posted within seconds of each other (less than a minute) and as such yes answers will be duplicated.  This is down to how long it takes a poster to put there answer in.  Don't see an issue there and if the answers are the same at least the OP will see this.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@TechmanagerMal I see your still doing what you claim others shouldn't https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Account-Billing/Paid-50-in-stead-of-50pence/td-p/3718552 talk about being a little hypocritical....(same info posted over 24 hours after initial replies....)

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@daveNOS wrote:

@TechmanagerMal I see your still doing what you claim others shouldn't https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Account-Billing/Paid-50-in-stead-of-50pence/td-p/3718552 talk about being a little hypocritical....(same info posted over 24 hours after initial replies....)

• Thanks again for your efforts to improve my help on the forum.
  • Alas in your haste to correct me you have again missed the point, the crucial added detail is the way the OP needs to handle the automated phone system to get to an adviser. I trust it will be of help.

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@daveNOS wrote:

• I am not complaining or annoyed about anything just making a suggestion that might improve the forum as a source of information.
  • In the link you provided you will notice I added the extra information about the booster acting as a WiFi hotspot.
  • I feel both are acceptable and within the spirit of the forum and its rules?

TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@GD1 wrote:

@TechmanagerMal  You'll find  many duplicated answers are posted within seconds of each other (less than a minute) and as such yes answers will be duplicated.  This is down to how long it takes a poster to put there answer in.  Don't see an issue there and if the answers are the same at least the OP will see this.

• As I indicated previously by liking your post - I agree with all you say but suggest it could be prevented by my first suggestion - 
  • "I have suggested before that when a post is being replied to it should not simultaneously be accessible for answer by another member"
  • Surely this would present a better source of reference than multiple identical answers to the same question?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TechmanagerMal I see your point but

• surely if more than one answer is virtually the same it will give the OP reassurance that the answers are probably right, or at least helpful.
  • what happens if I'm replying to your post, and my phone rings or doorbell goes. I could be preventing other forum members from giving their two penn'orth. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
TechmanagerMal
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@TechmanagerMal I see your point but

• surely if more than one answer is virtually the same it will give the OP reassurance that the answers are probably right, or at least helpful.
  • what happens if I'm replying to your post, and my phone rings or doorbell goes. I could be preventing other forum members from giving their two penn'orth. 

• The jury is out on that one some remove their similar post, click like and move on where some are happy to see multiple similar answers - I go for the tidy option with the likes added giving the OP the assurance it's likely to be the right answer.
  • I suggested in my original thread that a timeout allowed access to other members after a set time to avoid that.
  • Thanks for taking the time to answer - it's good to talk.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TechmanagerMal I'm probably going to appear stupid but how do you delete a post you've just added and then realised someone beat you to it.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion