Discussion topic: ICANN verification email received - is it a scam?

This message was authored by kyokushinblack This message was authored by: kyokushinblack

ICANN verification email received - is it a scam?

Hi 

I have received an email with title :

Warning: Requirements Regarding Your Domain On The New ICANN Policy.

The email contents are as below - it has an attachment too.  

I am wary that this is a scam - can anyone verify please?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

⚠️ (Sky) Domain Accreditation As Directed By ICANN.

Dear  XXXXX(this was my correct user name),

This is an important notice, so please be sure to check it until the end.

As the rightful owner of this e-mail, in accordance with ICANN regulations, you are obligated to confirm the email address for the following domain name(s)

Affected Domain(s): sky.com

Email Address: (removed)

Date and Time: 6/3/2023, 04:00:37 PM

Please confirm your email address with the ICANN attached to this e-mail message now or before the next two (2)days.

Note: If we do not receive a confirmation within the aforementioned period, we will have to comply with ICANN requirements and deactivate your mailbox and domain(s) mentioned above.

ICANN's policy requires that this e-mail address must be verified and confirmed now with attached. This is ICANN's way of ensuring that only valid information is on file.

Sincerely,

Sky via ICANN Customer Service.

Moderator comments: removed personal details 

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: ICANN verification email received - is it a scam?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@kyokushinblack wrote:

you are obligated to confirm the email address for the following domain name(s)

Not the best worded email but a decent attempt a spaming so as it looks like these are doing the rounds as another member has reported the same on here today, so mark these as spam should you receive anymore.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I've never heard of ICANN before and can't see any relevance to your email address. There haven't been any previous posts mentioning them here to my recollection. From that, and the poor use of language used in the email, my conclusion is,that, yes, it's an attempt to scam you. Mark it as spam but otherwise ignore it.

kyokushinblack
Topic Author
This message was authored by kyokushinblack This message was authored by: kyokushinblack

thank you for your prompt reply

one more question.  I did not open the attachment from my PC but mistakenly touched it on my smartphone - nothing happened - it was blank page.   

Am I under risk?  what changes should I make - I just changed my password on sky to be on safe side but any other advice shall be appreciated

This message was authored by Q+customers This message was authored by: Q+customers

I've had an email asking me to confirm my password for ICANN and I just want to confirm it's genuine

Do I need to confirm my password to continue to use my email address

Re: I've had an email asking me to confirm my password for ICANN and I just want to confirm it's gen

@Q+customers wrote:
Do I need to confirm my password to continue to use my email address

Absolutely not. Never disclose your Sky password to anyone.

Without knowing what was in the attachment, it's hard to know for certain, but as it didn't ask you for any information regarding your Sky email account, I doubt it will have caused any damage on a mobile. Changing your password was a sensible precaution

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: I've had an email asking me to confirm my password for ICANN and I just want to confirm it's gen

You should never supply your password to anyone especially anyemails that have arrived out of the blue, by the sounds of it you have been sent a phising email so mark it as spam so it gets deleted and do the same should you be sent anymore.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

@kyokushinblack wrote:

you are obligated to confirm the email address for the following domain name(s)

Not the best worded email but a decent attempt a spaming so as it looks like these are doing the rounds as another member has reported the same on here today, so mark these as spam should you receive anymore.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Q+customers 

Your title says:

"I've had an email asking me to confirm my password for ICANN and I just want to confirm it's genuine."

That has nothing to do with Sky email. Are you registered for ICANN? If so it probably is genuine.

Edit, my reply now looks "out of place". It's because someone has joined 2 threads together.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion