Discussion topic: Email problems using Mail

This message was authored by pdunny This message was authored by: pdunny

Email problems using Mail

Switched to Thunderbird due to the following problems which we were having using the Sky website and Mail.

Whenever I tried to send pictures via Sky on their website they appeared as 'negatives' when sending and appeared the same when the email was received. Saving the pic was the only way to provide a 'proper image'. Never did resolve that issue.

When using Mail not all emails were downloading and we were getting a number of them appearing like this.

---=Part.fdd080.b48eba2457ddc3e.18ac73499ab.4bed6e3a13dace6c=---

They are often followed by the message 'Download message and pictures'.

They won't download.

We switched back to Mail as recommended (we have Windows 11) and it seems the old problems have reappeared.  

Can I just add these problems didn't exist when using Thunderbird.

I wanted to attach a screenshot but got the message 'You do not have permission to upload images. Couldn't work out how to use the camera facility Insert/edit image in the toolbar.

If anybody has any advice or can help it would be very much appreciated by one non technical easily confused and frustrated senior surfer

Best Answers
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

Re: Email problems using Mail

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

So is Thunderbird not working?

@pdunny wrote:

We switched back to Mail as recommended (we have Windows 11) and it seems the old problems have reappeared.  

Who (or what) recommended you switch back?

As you are on Windows 11, it might be a good idea to try the new Outlook, as it will be the replacement for Windows Mail (which I assume you are refering to)

Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support

Be aware it only supports a limited number of email services at the moment, but Sky is supported (as Yahoo) 

I must say I've no idea why you were/are having the problems with images.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

To send pictures did you use the attach icon as this will be the easiest way to send them ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach Answer

So is Thunderbird not working?

@pdunny wrote:

Who (or what) recommended you switch back?

As you are on Windows 11, it might be a good idea to try the new Outlook, as it will be the replacement for Windows Mail (which I assume you are refering to)

Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support

Be aware it only supports a limited number of email services at the moment, but Sky is supported (as Yahoo) 

I must say I've no idea why you were/are having the problems with images.

pdunny
Topic Author

Thank you @jayach.

Every time we tried to access Thunderbird it kept asking for a password. We tried using our Sky passwords (we had more than one email account). We tried using computer generated passwords via Sky. It wouldn't accept any of the passwords we used. I went on the net and found lots of people having problems with Yahoo email using Thunderbird.

I went to a page on Sky where they advised which, sorry I don't know the technical term, systems? Sky Yahoo recommended and it said Windows Mail was one of them. Used it before and changed to Thunderbird because of problems with it. Went back to Mail as recommended by Sky thinking it might now work. Suffice to say it doesn't.

Thank you for the link to Outlook. I'm going to give that a try.

With regard to the photographs no one could come up with a solution to that one before so I just gave up on it.

I know you have helped me before and I am very grateful for your continued help.

Best wishes

Paul

pdunny
Topic Author

Thank you @caesarome. Pretty sure I tried different ways to attach or insert a picture before I gave up. Will give it another go.

Best wishes

Paul

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@pdunny 

For the password Thunderbird requires all you should need to do is to generate a 16 digit password and use that instead of the usual password it uses, you can you can generate the 16 digit password here:

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
pdunny
Topic Author

Hi again @ caesarome. Thanks but after it rejected our usual Sky passwords I tried Sky generated ones several times. It rejected whatever password I put in.

pdunny
Topic Author

Hi again @jayach. I have downloaded new Outlook for Windows as suggested but it's reminded me why we didn't go for it before. We do not have a Microsoft subscription/product and so we are limited to one email account.. Hence we got Thunderbird instead. Thought I might be able to sign up for Microsoft using different email addresses but as far as I can tell I think they've got that one covered as it just goes to our existing account! Looks nice but with only one (free) email address I think it's a non starter. Will have to keep looking I think. Once again many thanks for your help though. Best wishes. Paul

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@pdunny wrote:

We do not have a Microsoft subscription/product and so we are limited to one email account.. 

And yet you are using Windows 11?

Microsoft have made it all but impossible to use Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. (it is possible, and I do it on a couple of devices, but you really have to "jump through hoops" to achieve it)

In the end, if you are going to use any Microsoft products, (including Windows) you really have to accept doing it their way, and to be honest things do work together better once you do.

I'm not aware of any limitations on the number of accounts in "New Outlook for Windows".

But it really is ridiculous that there are now at least 5 different versions of Outlook, as well as the 4 mentioned here:Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support 

jayach_0-1695822181313.png

there is Outlook for Android and iOS. What a mess.

Finding the best email app/client for one's needs is not easy, personally I've settled for the various flavours of Outlook (and yet I do not pay any money to Micosoft) but you do have to be a bit creative with how you do it.

Hope you can finally find the right one for you.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Just to add, I still can't find anywhere that says the new Outlook for Windows is limited to one account without a Microsoft subscription. 

It is still in development and doesn't support purely IMAP accounts yet, but no limitations I can find on others.

This blog post has some more info:

New Outlook for Windows now available - Microsoft Community Hub

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion