Discussion topic: Disconnecting a mailbox from my Sky/Yahoo account

This message was authored by Juniper275 This message was authored by: Juniper275

Disconnecting a mailbox from my Sky/Yahoo account

Hi, I have a Sky/Yahoo email which has another mailbox linked to it. It's my daughter's Sky/Yahoo email address. I want to remove this mailbox from my account and my daughter wants to keep her account separately. When I go to 'unlink' it I get the message ' Are you sure you want to disconnect xxxxxx email from your Yahoo account yyyyy email? Disconnecting a mailbox will permanently remove all data from Yahoo Mail and cannot be undone' 

My question is whether it will just delete it from my account or will it remove the email address completely? Daughter has lots of accounts/ work etc attached to the email and can't chance it disappearing completely! Thanks. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Disconnecting a mailbox from my Sky/Yahoo account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If ypur daughter has a separate email address it might be safest just to set up a filter to divert emails addressed to her to a separate folder so that you don't see them in your Inbox. I'm not sure what the impact would be of setting the filter to simply delete them.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Could you show us just where you are attempting to unlink the accounts?

As far as I know there is no way of linking email accounts. The email accounts are "linked" to your Sky account, because you added them as an additional user at some time in the past, and removing them doesn't remove any data, it just makes the email address a "guest" account, meaning it's not linked to any Sky account.

Of course, if you mean something else by them "being linked" please try to explain more

Juniper275
Topic Author
This message was authored by Juniper275 This message was authored by: Juniper275

Thanks. 
If I log into Sky or Yahoo and go to Settings >Manage accounts, it shows my email address and my daughters, with the remove option next to my daughters. It then gives the message 

From within Sky Yahoo Mail:
  • You won't be able to send or receive messages with this mailbox.
  • All information associated with this mailbox will be permanently deleted.

At the moment all of her messages show in my inbox, wasn't an issue when she was younger, but now as a working women, I don't need to see what she spends her money on!! 😂

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I'm really not clear where you're seeing this - I can't see a Mamage Accounts setting either by logging in to Sky or Yahoo  - but that might be simply because I have only a single Sky Yahoo Mail address and it therefore doesn't apply.

Does your daughter have a separate Sky email address? I don't understand why her emails are appearing in your Inbox...

Regardless - the message you're seeing does suggest that her email data will all disappear if you choose to,delete her email mailbox.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

I can't find a Settings >Manage accounts, can you post a link?

Presumably your daughter has a separate log in for her email, where she just sees her email, and not yours?

How do the they show in your mail, all mixed together or as separate inboxes.

How are you viewing your  email, are you using an app/client, or a browser?

I doubt removing the email account will delete it completely, just your access to it, but without understanding just how it is setup I can't be sure.

Juniper275
Topic Author

Many years ago when Sky email was first launched, I think it was gmail then, you could set up numerous email addresses on your Sky account. You had the ability to see all of your messages from all of these accounts on one 'main' email address, rather than having to go back and forth between accounts. My daughter uses her account through the Yahoo app, sends messages etc but her inbox messages duplicate in my inbox.  It does look as if everything might disappear if I select remove which we just can't risk. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

If ypur daughter has a separate email address it might be safest just to set up a filter to divert emails addressed to her to a separate folder so that you don't see them in your Inbox. I'm not sure what the impact would be of setting the filter to simply delete them.

Juniper275
Topic Author

If I log into Mail from the main Sky login page I get my inbox, click 3 lines top left, then settings>manage account. I can also do similar via the Yahoo app. 
Yes, she sees her mail only on her app and sends messages which don't appear in my sent items. 
Her messages show in my inbox, mixed with mine in time order. There isn't any way of just showing my inbox. 
Generally view our mail on the Yahoo app or Apple Mail app. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion