Discussion topic: App Password

This message was authored by Grizwold225 This message was authored by: Grizwold225

App Password

Hi,

I'm on the subject of App Passwords. My email address is @Ntlworld.com and, yesterday stopped working. I have the message "Correct credentials needed" Enter credentials for ******.******@ntlworld.com Sign in.

This then takes me to the next page Sync Options, Incoming server settings. These are all correct and clicking on Next brings up "Problem with account setup" Your username or password is incorrect, Edit Details.

I have read that Virgin changed the login without telling anyone, and I need an App Pasword. I do not have a Virgin account, this was closed when I switched over to Sky.

Anybody got any help, or ideas, how I can get to my emails again, please?

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: App Password

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Grizwold225  If your email account is still with Virgin Media you need to be seeking help from them, not Sky as it's not a Sky issue.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Have you checked Virgin's support website for an app password generator, or their advice on how to proceed? 

Failing that there are some apps which support OAuth2 (Mozilla Thunderbird for one?), which I'm gessing is the login protocol they've changed to, which should work without an app password. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Grizwold225  If your email account is still with Virgin Media you need to be seeking help from them, not Sky as it's not a Sky issue.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Grizwold225
Topic Author
This message was authored by Grizwold225 This message was authored by: Grizwold225

My email isn't with Virgin, it's with Sky. When I changed over to Sky, I asked about my email address as it was a Virgin one and the guy who carried out the changeover, who was actually an Openreach engineer, told me I would keep my old email address as they were now like mobile numbers and would be transferred to whoever I was using.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Does your email address end in @Sky.com  because if not your email isn't with Sky.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Grizwold225 

How long ago did you leave Virgin? I believe they only allow you to use the email for 3 months whilst you make other arrangements. Not sure if that applies to Ntlworld addresses as well.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Grizwold225  What you have been told is incorrect, Sky don't take over another providers email address, it will still be with Virgin Media as already advised, and as per @jayach if there is a time limit the email account may have been closed if more than 3 months away from VM.

Sky no longer offer new email accounts either and haven't done so for some time.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Grizwold225 wrote:

the guy who carried out the changeover, who was actually an Openreach engineer, told me I would keep my old email address as they were now like mobile numbers and would be transferred to whoever I was using.

If the Openreach engineer said that, they are completely wrong.

Grizwold225
Topic Author

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your helps and replies, and sorry for the delay in getting back on this.  I have had to open a new email address, it is now @Hotmail.com.  As I said, when I changed over to Sky, 2 years ago, the Openreach engineer who carried out the installation definitely told me that email addresses were like mobile phone numbers, and you kept it, whoever you were with. So, I had my @Ntlworld.com address for 2 years before it went off.  After a lot of Googling, and Whatsapp messages, I eventually was given a telephone number for the Virgin Customer Lack Of Service department. I think calling it anything else could be a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act! When I eventually got through to someone, on the phone number I was given, it sounded like they were working from a Mumbai fast food outlet. Through all the noise and goings on I understand that Virgin are no longer issuing email adddresses, and have just swithed them off. No notifications or advance warnings, just switched off. It's been "fun" setting up the new account and notifying everybody. There's still the odd one showing up that I missed. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion