Discussion topic: wifi ports

This message was authored by E+Frost This message was authored by: E+Frost

wifi ports

I have 32 items on my new sky wifi router some of my items are only 2.4gh compatible. It says I have 11 x 2.4 and 36 x 5gh chanels. Dose this mean i can only connet 11 items to the  2.4gh side ? The reason i ask is I know a lot of my items have said only 2.4gh compat and my printer is only 2.4gh compatable and wont connect. Would this mean that i have used all the 2.4gh of my router and only have the 5gh side left ?? sorry for the lack of techno language but im not that modern  

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: wifi ports

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@E+Frost 

No, channels are not the same thing as capacity for device connections.

For some 2.4Ghz devices to connect there's a process to follow:

As posted by @jamesn123

So to split the two channels you need to go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. To access the page, you'll need;

username: admin

password: sky OR your WiFi password

- Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings'

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

- Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

- In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called 'Name (SSID)' and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

- Scroll down and hit apply

- Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed). Connect any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz network and see if it works correctly. The WiFi password should be the same if you havent changed it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@E+Frost 

Note that the process above does not apply to the new (white)  Max Hub

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
E+Frost
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply. I will try it.

E+Frost
Topic Author

Just to confuse you even more. If i split the wifi between the 2.4 and 5gh as suggested and my printer is on  the 2.4gh side the same as some of my wirless cameras. Would items such as my iphone still be able to pick them up if say my phone is on the 5gh side or would i have to keep logging out from the 5gh side of the wifi on my phone and connect to wifi on my phone on the 2.4 side to print on the printer or will everything on my 1 router talk to each other ? Or to put it simpler can things that operate on the 5gh still comunicate with things that can only use 2.4gh.  Sorry if this sounds a bit daft but im not 100% tech savy 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@E+Frost 

Yes you can communicate with devices on different bands 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
E+Frost
Topic Author

Thanks for all your help. Done as instructed and works fine at moment.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion