Discussion topic: using tp link router to connect sky

This message was authored by weescottygirl This message was authored by: weescottygirl

using tp link router to connect sky

having issues using a new tp link router, i am assuming i need some  sort of sky code to allow me use of the connection, as it wont show internet on tp link router.  what details is required to allow the  new router to use the sky connection

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: using tp link router to connect sky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@weescottygirl 

Going to need more information than that. Are you using the TP-Link router connected directly to a 3rd party modem or the Openreach ONT or are you connecting it to the Sky hub?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
weescottygirl
Topic Author
This message was authored by weescottygirl This message was authored by: weescottygirl

i had it directly into a  sky connection on wall

@weescottygirl 

Guessing you mean Openreach ONT not 'Sky connection'?

The router needs to authenticate via DHCP Option 61 client identifier string. The string is abc123@skydsl|abc123 however many people have previously reported that TP-Link routers either do not have DHCP Option 61 authentication or that it does not work reliably. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
weescottygirl
Topic Author

i guess open reach is bt connection, yes i connect through sky and pay line rental tp them, so i guess its originally bt ?

do you know where i would input this identifier string within the tp link?

@weescottygirl 

Openreach is seperate from BT now and operate all the lines that BT, Sky, Talk Talk, Plusnet etc use.

You should find it under the WAN settings on the router. Again though I've seen plenty of reports saying TP-Link routers do not support it

I am NOT a Sky Employee
weescottygirl
Topic Author

many thanks, i will have a look on the menu settings on the router. loads of features on this particular one, but i will definitely take a close look

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion