Discussion topic: unbranded next gen firewall, vms, nas and AI support hardware

This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

unbranded next gen firewall, vms, nas and AI support hardware

Does anyone have a system setup?

small home lab, rack etc?

What hardware and software you using?

I spoke to someone not long ago 'Mark' who helped me with the fundamentals of a unbranded hardware using opensense and zenarmor for true independance

I will be looking to self monitor and man my own station but just wanted to know who else has what

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: unbranded next gen firewall, vms, nas and AI support hardware

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnieFinFin 

I think that would be @mae-3 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author
This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Hi mark! Mae!

I tried contacting you a few months back but I had issues with my network and later found out many iCloud users had issues with their emails 

anyway!

Good to see you again!! 😄👍

I have been in contact with most brands out there all stating their firewalls have AI and these days you need AI to take on AI

whats your input on this and have you updated your hardware?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnieFinFin wrote:

I have been in contact with most brands out there all stating their firewalls have AI and these days you need AI to take on AI

whats your input on this and have you updated your hardware?

Generally speaking I'd observe that 

a) despite popular belief, there's no such thing as Artificial Intelligence.  What there is are increasingly good data analysis and learning algorithms, and those do have some benefits in security (and counter-security) applications.

b) absolutely no-one has local (pseudo) AI: if it exists at all it's in network cores and server farms.  For a firewall or similar hardware to apply such things will almost always require subscription to a service which covers the not inconsiderable cost of the processing involved.

c) the weakest link in security is increasingly situated between keyboard and chair ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Thank you cookie 👍

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk  @TimmyBGood 

Thank you for your replies, In regards to 3rd party routers and os etc

what type of system do you have and do you use docker or kuber instead of vms or do you use vms?
im sceptical these days to use vms based on monitoring issues and seen new companies encourage to use their dns services such as Prometheus, terraform as an alternative?

But, using these services will inevitably store your data on their system, and that's never a good thing. 
Im asking around because as of lately, people who do own their server won't share their setup in fears of being exposed? 
People are now building their own cold storage bare metal AI system llama that supports automated directories and can manage complicated tasks whilst you make a cup of tea coffee that would normally take hours to complete 

I'm just looking for advice from users here in sky if they have similar systems and advice from you guys with your views on this

@TimmyBGood your input before helped 👍

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Oh, and the username and pass for sky is the same as usual or has it changed for 3rd party routers

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion