Discussion topic: sky model no SR 203 router. Problem connecting in one room

This message was authored by Moc41 This message was authored by: Moc41

sky model no SR 203 router. Problem connecting in one room

I have a Sky SR 303 router. Iits generally been working ok however I have recently converted the usage of a room of my house and now need a good wifi connection there. Most of the time the connection is very poor and frequently non existant. The router is less than 6 metres away albeit through a brick wall. Do Sky provide an extender that would work or do I need to purchase one externally. Any advice greatly appreciated as I am not much of a Techie

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: sky model no SR 203 router. Problem connecting in one room

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Moc41 wifi signal strength is affected by passing through solid objects the denser the barrier the greater the loss. Its worth looking at the positioning of yhe hub if it is low down and there is a radiator on the wall thst will cause a complete loss of signal other than reflections in its shadow.

Assuming you cant get a reliable signal from the hub a basic booster is not likely to be the solution as they need a strong signal to boost. Your best option if its pratical is to run an ethernet cable to the room and attach a wifi extender to that or buy a powerline adapter kit which uses your home's mains wiring to carry the signal. You can buy these kits with built in wifi access points etc but if you are olanning to use the room as an office or for gaming it is better to connect the device to the ethernet port. Powerline works in most homes assuming the two outlets are wired from the same consumer unit and meter. The 

Sky do provide free "boosters" to customers who pay the monthly £5 for the Boost bundle but as pointed out above these are not really a solution for your issue without other help. They dont sell boosters although these turn up on resale sites if tempted buy the type the same shape as your hub but in white.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Moc41
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee many thanks. My router is located on top of a radiator cabinet adjacent to the main incoming telecom socket. The signal is good in the rest of the house apart from this one room . Would it help if I mounted the router on the wall above the radiator ?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Moc41 the higher the hub the better as it is above any thing that can block the dignal and given Sky hubs run pretty hot putting on over a rad is not ideal for that reason alone. Certainly worth trying moving the hub if you can also install a wifi analyzer app or an app like wifi sweetspots onto a phone as yhey will give you a good idea of signal strength in the problem room.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Moc41
Topic Author

@ChriseeThanks  for the advice. I wasn't aware there was such an app so I will try that first.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion