Discussion topic: sky in rented accommodation

This message was authored by daisy284 This message was authored by: daisy284

sky in rented accommodation

I'm awaiting an engineer appointment to set up my sky broadband at my rented flat property. I had an email from sky saying an ONT is already at the property (I think I've found it in the building's communal space but not entirely sure...)

We do NOT have permission for any drilling to be done on the outside of the property.  As the ONT should already be installed , then this suggests external drilling won't be required so it didn't seem to matter?... 

However, I have just had an email from Openreach saying they may turn up to do external work before the appointment date. I'm worried they will turn up and drill holes in the building when I'm not around - something I've not got  permission for!

Sky have said they can't contact Openreach, ( although they too would expect such drilling to be unnecessary), and I can't contact Openreach myself at all. 

Is anyone, who knows the process well, able to reassure me that Openreach won't just turn up and start drilling - or give me any advice?! 

Thank you.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: sky in rented accommodation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@daisy284 wrote:

I had an email from sky saying an ONT is already at the property (I think I've found it in the building's communal space but not entirely sure...)

Typically an individual ONT is required for each broadband subscription, so it would be unusual to have one in a communal location unless perhaps residents are expected to share a single account.  Could you post a picture of what you've found, or provide a description of it?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: sky in rented accommodation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@daisy284 wrote:

Is anyone, who knows the process well, able to reassure me that Openreach won't just turn up and start drilling

They certainly shouldn't do so without an adult being present to provide verbal consent, but I guess it's not impossible.  They would need to get access to the property to see what they were drilling into though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion