Discussion topic: sky broadband con and the immoral tricks sky use ...

This message was authored by turbocock This message was authored by: turbocock

sky broadband con and the immoral tricks sky use ...

the immoral tricks sky use

I have gone up to super fast broadband optical 150mb , and noticed my upload speed is worse than my previous ten year old set up , its averaging 10 meg when before was 16mb

the sky PERSON told me that they don't guarantee upload speed, i could be getting 1mb , not the advertised 27

i know sky could fix this but they wont , he basically told be to get the more expensive broad band and hope it was faster , but no guarantees, just hope and wishes !

All they would do is un - throttle my line if i paid more money .

is this grounds to cancel my broadband ?sky_.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: sky broadband con and the immoral tricks sky use ...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@turbocock 

Domestic ISPs typically don't guarantee upload speed: that's certainly not just a Sky thing.  However, FTTP should deliver something close to the quoted speeds in each direction: how are you testing it?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
turbocock
Topic Author

my router is connected to my pc with a gaga bit cable, dowload is fine 160mb 

yes i knoiw they dont and  whats more anoying is that it was faster before. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@turbocock 

Can you post your router stats and a screenshot of the speedtest?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
turbocock
Topic Author

no, its pointless ... its set up coreclty . its the line , its now swings from 6mb  to 21mb  my point was more about how much they try a fool us with crafty worded headlines, and if its groinds to cancle without fees .. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@turbocock wrote:

if its groinds to cancle without fees .. 

You can undoubtedly argue that way: they will presumably counter by stating, as we've already established, that upload speed isn't guaranteed.

@turbocock 

Cancelling anything in contested circumstances is always is a trade-off: you've agreed to a contract with particular terms which they can hold you to, but they also don't particularly want unhappy customers taking up their staff time.

Typically it's best to put your case in writing as a formal complaint, and then if that process reaches deadlock it goes to an independent resolution service for adjudication.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@turbocock the reason Sky do not guarantee upload speeds is Openreach whose products they and the other ISPs lije BT re-sell dont offer one. If you need higher upload speeds perhaps you need a business acount some of which offer the same upload as download speeds?

As stated normally upload speeds are what are given. I assume none your apps or devices use cloud storeage as that can use significant upstream bandwidth when devices are idle. Especially if you store video or photos on line as I do.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
turbocock
Topic Author

yes indeed, they told me it could be 1mb and to like it or lump it. 

@turbocock you are likely to get a similar response from any other of the mass market ISPs - they cannot guarantee something their supplier doesn't.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
turbocock
Topic Author

whats slimy is that they can change it , with a click of the mouse . But when i asked if i upgraded to the highest tariff 900mb -90mb would i get faster uploads he said yes sure , then i asked but it could be 1mb not 90mb and again he said sure it could be, and id have no recourse. The average punter is going to fall for their well crafted **bleep** adverts , if you notice the image on the post they put the upload speed, then under guarantee tick , Think my version is the honest one. 

@turbocock wrote:

if you notice the image on the post they put the upload speed, then under guarantee tick 

If you consider that to be potentially misleading, a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority would be appropriate: personally I think it's problematic, and that ISPs have largely been able to get away with the current situation because until fairly recently upload speed wasn't something consumers were particularly interested in.

@turbocock This is the ASA link https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion