Discussion topic: poor wifi

This message was authored by Charlie85 This message was authored by: Charlie85

poor wifi

Hello

The test says I have good broadband and there are no issues in the area so maybe there is a problem with my set up. 

My wifi cuts out entirely regularly, so that I have to switch everything off and then back on in order for it to work. 

About a year, I installed some socket-based boosters in my house - when I set them up I had to create a new network for the boosters.  The network name was my sky broadband name, followed by some sort of suffix (ie. my network name, followed by a hyphen, followed by some more numbers and letters).  This network name would appear in my list of available networks. The boosters were not helpful - I don't know if this was because of the boosters or the set-up.  In any event, a couple of days later I removed them. 

Since then, the new network name (ie. my network name, followed by a hyphen, followed by some more numbers and letters) has no longer appeared on my list of network names, so I assumed it has gone.  I don't know if this has had an impact on anything? This may be irrelevant. 

I very recently connected a TV (in my bedroom) to the wifi, using a cat6 cable between a cat6 plug/port in my lounge wall next to the wife router,  and a cat6 plug/port in my bedroom.  The problem pre-existed this but I mention it in case useful. 

Please can you help

Thanks

Charlie 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: poor wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Charlie85 if your the boosters you installed were not from Sky it is likely your issue was related to WiFi interference as more WiFi is often not better WiFi. There are relatively few wiFI channels kit can use and for the 2.4GHz band there can only have 3 networks playing nicely add a 4th and you start to get issues unless the wifi points are designed to co-operate..

To help you sort your network can you explain a little more what your set up is including the make and model numbers of your extenders and a rough idea of the lay out of your home such and whst devices you need to connectvwhere. Several of the forum rdgulars including myself have exoerience in setiing up networks so should be able to help. Including your Sky hub's connection stats also is useful see Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

If networking a TV by ethernet remembervto turn iff its WiFi network settings as many devices ignore the ethernet connection until you do.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion