Discussion topic: faster broadband from the old box

This message was authored by 2+slices+of+ham This message was authored by: 2+slices+of+ham

faster broadband from the old box

So, I have this old broadband box, approximately 12 years old and with newer devices around the house it can't cope, is too slow and i'm just waiting for it to melt but the bot **bleep** thing is hopeless for any advice as it keeps going round in circles chasing its tail.  So, how the **bleep** do I get a newer broadband box?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: faster broadband from the old box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@2+slices+of+ham 

If you have a Sky Hub, you'd typically expect to get a Q Hub on recontracting to a current broadband service with a new minimum term.  The Sky Broadband Hub is for Ultrafast connections and 'Broadband Boost' subscriptions.

Sky Hubs and login details (1).png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author
This message was authored by 2+slices+of+ham This message was authored by: 2+slices+of+ham

That is what I would have expected after say 10 years of Sky but I still have the original broadband box given to me 13 years ago but the bot thingy will not divert to an actual human so I am assuming that humans no longer work for Sky

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@2+slices+of+ham wrote:

I still have the original broadband box given to me 13 years ago

A white or a black Hub?

The white Hub (SR101) is out-of-support and Sky should be replacing those as a matter of course.

SR102, ER110/115 and SR203/204 are in-support, although the SR102 is single band 802.11n and so effectively obsolete.

Sky-badged Netgear routers and anything related to O2 or Be really shouldn't still be in use.

2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author

It's none of those, it is a Sagem ADSL broadband router, nothing special, they keep telling me that it is fine, it will do the job, except, when the PS4 is downloading, no one else can use the internet, current websites use different frame rates than they did 10 years ago, it should have retired but Sky won't replace it.

@2+slices+of+ham wrote:

it should have retired 

Certainly: that model is at least fifteen years old. Are Sky giving a reason?

As I said, typically they'd want you to recontract onto a current broadband product.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@2+slices+of+ham  What speed are you getting from your broadband for them to not change the router?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

@Highlinder 

That's an ADSL router by definition, because it long pre-dates FTTC ; )

2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author

I can't get hold of anyone, each email I receive is to tell me the price is going up to £46 a month, it might be better getting a better deal somewhere else, as for talking to anyone, I have a life, I am not going to wait for hours until someone from Sky responds and since they view these discussion boards they can explain to me why I am using a router that sells on ebay for 4.99

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@TimmyBGoodSo can @2+slices+of+ham only get ADSLspeeds or can you get faster?

2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author

9.07 Mb/s

@2+slices+of+ham  So you are unable to get any other product from Sky or any other ISP that being ADSL. So no superfast or unltrafast products.

@2+slices+of+ham wrote:

they can explain to me why I am using a router that sells on ebay for 4.99

No, they won't do that here.  That's why we're trying to help.

2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author

Might be better to go with a different ISP.  

Thanks anyway

2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author

If sky glass is a tv, not interested, haven't watched tv since 1989, haven't missed a thing, will never go to BT as there are always hidden charges

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion