Discussion topic: change of FTTP from Openreach to Cityfibre

This message was authored by mr38 This message was authored by: mr38

change of FTTP from Openreach to Cityfibre

Hi

Would I need a second hole drilled in the wall and new ONT box installed if I move from sky Openreach FTTP to zen Internet with Cityfibre? Zen Internet are advising that 2nd hole in the wall will need to be drilled. Has anyone moved from Openreach to Cityfibre ? Any advise will be appreciated. I am not keen to 2 seaparate lines. Thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: change of FTTP from Openreach to Cityfibre

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mr38 

CityFibre is an 'altnet' full-fibre provider laying their own optical network distribution in competition with Openreach, so yes, you'd have to get a new hole/cable and use a different ONT to receive Zen FTTP on a CityFibre bearer.

https://www.zen.co.uk/blog/posts/zen-blog/2022/07/11/what-is-cityfibre/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mr38 

Perhaps also worth noting that the design aesthetic of the CityFibre ONT is, um, 'interesting'...

Cityfibre-ONT-Installed-in-Home-2023.jpg

cityfibre_internal_ont_ftth.jpg

mr38
Topic Author

Hi Timmy

Thank you very much. Could I ask you few further questions?

if you have 2 lines, then is it is easy to move back to Openreach FTTP in future? Does Openreach line remains active with change to Cityfibre?

If I join other Openreach FTTP now, then probably FTTP lines does not need changing.

Thanks. 

@mr38 wrote:

if you have 2 lines, then is it is easy to move back to Openreach FTTP in future? Does Openreach line remains active with change to Cityfibre?

It remains in place, as does the Openreach ONT.  Whether the fibre stays lit without an associated ISP subscription  is up to them, but 'reactivation' (if required) would be part of an order process by an Openreach ISP.

@mr38 wrote:

If I join other Openreach FTTP now, then probably FTTP lines does not need changing.

That's correct: data from any ISP buying wholesale access to the Openreach network would go through the Openreach optical cable and ONT.

mr38
Topic Author

Thanks. 
Much appreciated.

🙏

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion