Discussion topic: Wifi goes down 3-4 times a month

This message was authored by BrianMaynard This message was authored by: BrianMaynard

Wifi goes down 3-4 times a month

My WiFi is down again, this occurs 3-4 times a month,

Currently I can get on line via this 'Hard Wired' PC but all phones and wifi connected devices are off line.

New Router was installed a couple of weeks ago ... all good untill today ... all down, security system can only be controlled via the box on the wall, ring dec=vices are up, but only for the hard wired PC, all phones are not connecting ...any suggestions?

I have a switch controlling 2 NAS drives, and 'daisy chaned' 2 access points (TP-Link devices) 

Sky engineers are helpless here by all accounts ... has anyone any ideas?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Wifi goes down 3-4 times a month

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BrianMaynard you need ro diagnose this issue yourself as no ISP is going to troubleshoot issues in your home network not directly involving their router. If the PC which is connected by ethernet stays connected you can presumably rule out an issue with the connection to the hub.

It therefore sounds like it maybe an issue with something interfering with the Wifi signal. The range of things that can knock out wifi is huge but include microwave ovens, fluorescent lights and wreless speakers but it can be other gear including weirdly aqurium lights. It could possibly be a faulty router but as Sky have replaced that it is very unlikely you have had two hubs with the same fault. If you can post the hub's connection stats taken after or during a period of lost signal but before you reset they may show something Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
BrianMaynard
Topic Author
This message was authored by BrianMaynard This message was authored by: BrianMaynard

OK Good news is I think I fixed it?

I had 1011 colision Packets on the LAN when I looked at the Router Statistics. 

By disconnecting the hard wired cables one at a time I ended up with just the SKY Q box connected and still had 1011 Collision Packets, So disconnected the Cable to the Sky Q box and BINGO 0 Collision Packets! this was last night and it is still at 0 this morning.

I checked my Access Points and switch (all TP-Link devices) Logs and no issues on any devices connected via hard wire or WiFi. so it looks like I now have a clean system. I reset the Q box  to connect via WiFi as well yesterday.

My big Question here is 'Why did Sky not mention this check, and why did the last engineer not look?'

BrianMaynard
Topic Author

@Chrisee I think I might have solved the issue, the Sky Q box had been hard wired in and caused 1011 Collision Packet on the 'Router Statistics' LAN [thanks for that] so I unplugged everything until I located it.

The Q box is now wiFi'd in and 0 Collisions now. all TP link device logs are, and have always been, clear.

Thanks for the heads up, if the systems stays clean for a month I'll sign this off a fixed 😀

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BrianMaynard we have seen several similar issues with colliions so I think you are on the rightvteack 🤞

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion