Discussion topic: Wifi dropping out and reconnecting

This message was authored by Spindlefox This message was authored by: Spindlefox

Wifi dropping out and reconnecting

Hi 

I am experiencing frequent internet / wifi drop outs with my Sky Broadband Ultrafast service which I’ve had for over 18 months now - it’s only been a real issue in the last 2-3 weeks. I have restarted the router on numerous occasions but still getting the same issue. The service reconnects automatically but obviously is still causing issues with Teams calls, streaming music etc

May not be related but around the same time I have also been seeing ‘stuttering’ when watching tv via our Sky Q mini box (no problem with main Sky Q box)

I will add some activity logs from the router as soon as the moderation system lets me - keeps blocking my attempts with this message:

Your message contains 12-30 02, which is not allowed or has been repeated too many times. We block information which can identify you such as account or phone numbers & email addresses. Please remove or change it before trying again

Hoping someone can give me some suggestions on how to resolve this as well as the wifi issue!

Router:

Sky - Model SR203

Firmware Version7.03.0400.R

DSL Firmware VersionA2pvfbH043p1.d26u

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 93:21:55

WAN

WANoE

93:19:57

LAN

Up

93:21:56

WLAN (2.4 GHz)

Up

44:47:58

WLAN (5 GHz)

Up

93:20:00

Broadband Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

159900 kbps

30000 kbps

All Replies

Spindlefox
Topic Author
This message was authored by Spindlefox This message was authored by: Spindlefox

Re: Wifi dropping out and reconnecting

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 11.59.21.png

Spindlefox
Topic Author

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 12.04.24.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Spindlefox 

Do any lights change on your hub or ONT? 

Your stats & logs dont suggest any problems at all and report the line has been connected for 93hrs

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Spindlefox
Topic Author

Hi @jamesn123 

No light changes that I've spotted - only visual indication of the issue is when the WiFi symbol on devices temporally vanishes 

Is there any other stats that I can access that may help with diagnosis? Or do I need an engineer to check in person?

Thanks for your you help

@Spindlefox 

Hmm okay. 

Can you post a fresh set of stats as soon as you next notice the issue happening?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Spindlefox
Topic Author

Will do - thanks

Spindlefox
Topic Author

@jamesn123  Just happened again at 21:52:

IMG_0067.jpegIMG_0068.jpeg

@Spindlefox 

Absolutely nothing in the stats or logs that suggests a problem with the line or the router. I suspect the issue could be related to Sky Q, you mentioned a Q mini stutters etc so what you could do is temporarily unplug any Q minis and see if the problem persists, if it stops happening then you know there is either a connectivity issue or fault with one of the Minis. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Spindlefox
Topic Author

Done - I will let you know how it goes

thanks again

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@jamesn123 

Do you think that he is maybe getting the Q network storm that was mentioned in an earlier post...

This message was authored by Ryan75 This message was authored by: Ryan75

Sounds similar to me. Only been using sky for three weeks though. 75mbps. 
on my phone when accessing a page it does nothing as if frozen so I briefly turn WiFi off and on again (on my phone) and hey presto, the page loads. No faults reported. Streaming takes a while too with some buffering.
Frustrating as I left Vodafone that had excellent service albeit a slower connection. 
I've done resets. Turned off for 15 minutes. no joy. 

This message was authored by Ryan75 This message was authored by: Ryan75

Loading emails is a common one. Open up an email and blank. Switch off the phone's WiFi to use mobile data but don't even give it chance. WiFi back in immediately, as if to kick it up its backside and the email loads instantly. 
it's not my phone as it happens with others in the house. 

@JimM1 wrote:

@jamesn123 

Do you think that he is maybe getting the Q network storm that was mentioned in an earlier post...

Quite possibly, I've experienced the issue personally when I had a sort of ethernet 'loop' which caused Sky Q to panic and bring my network to a halt 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Spindlefox
Topic Author

@jamesn123 Definate improvement since unplugging the Sky Q mini so it does look like thats the culprit. 

Whats the best way to get it replaced? Ive already been through a full update / reset with someone from Sky support a couple of weeks ago, so i want to avaoid going through that again if possible

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion