Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi Max

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chimpishuk not the same guy then.

I was fortunate enough to visit Sky's Livingston base a few weeks ago where most of the team doing this work are based. We had a number of presentations including one by the tech team who were dealing with then the Glass/Stream issues. One of the two leads doing the presentation was the guy who called me. I was very impressed by all of the teams we met who were very professional.  They had some nice tools they can use to disgnose issues. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@Chrisee my geek sensors are piqued! 🙂

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.

Re: WiFi Ma

@Chimpishuk It was a very interesting 2 days. The tech support guys have access to a number of tools they can use to do a "remote" visit. The older Sky hubs do provide good diagnostic information but the new hub takes that to a new level with visibility of signal strength at a device level. I was in the app when the tech service rep ran his check and saw screens that normally not visible. I suspect these are not working on your system if tgecapp is screwed. 

However with Sky Stream or Glass the customer maybe using a third party ISP so they have a product called Tech See  which can use the camera and sensors on the customer's phone to check what the problem might be. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

@Chrisee @Chimpishuk - tech see is an intersting product and good for diagnostics even with the new stuff they have. Very good to visually demo a bug. But the new tools as was said take it to a whole new level, one of sky's competitors use something similar on the current gen products.(I cant say any more though It is scary when you see the device maps and things with what's connected to what and all the other good stuff (I cant say any more though).  I've a call today hopefully with the tech looking after my case as the router again dropped all the networking stuff (wpa3 now enabled though) and advanced security is now banjaxed again so it's definitely looking like a provisioning issue on mine. 

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@adwarduk wrote:

@Chrisee @Chimpishuk - tech  It is scary when you see the device maps and things with what's connected to what

Also perhaps somewhat scary that Plume (and other hardware solution providers) actively invite ISPs to harvest and monetise that information...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by loverboi This message was authored by: loverboi

Re: Wifi max

wifi max is not compatible with sky Q tho😊😔

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Wifi max

@loverboi 

Not compatible yet: given Sky will have literally millions of broadband subscribers who also use Sky Q, that's something they'll really want to solve asap.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood yeah it does and they do, BT & Sky both collect the device & type as an example and O.S, tbh they can get it by other means as long as they don't sell it on (which they don't) I'm not overly worried as long as its safe guarded accordingly. I'd rather they can see things they need to fix issues etc. 

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏

@Chrisee  @Chimpishuk - so the plot thickens with my hub over night Friday and last night it's kept the default ssid and password but anything connected by wps has needed the device reconnected so 4 stream devices.   Just had a call with the support team and based on the fact it's now had 3 factory resets & the weird behaviour with the initially connected pod it's been agreed to replace the router,  no point sending an engineer who'll want to factory reset it again. Also the advanced security option is now greyed out and the  team can't enable either.  I'll keep everyone updated.   I was wonder is it also worth splitting some of the things we're talking about into a new thread(s) to make it easier for others to find. One for the community team maybe.

@adwarduk I will leave thread management to @KevNewMedia who is the CM for this forum who has been out of the office for a few days.

I was away for the weekend myself and just got back. My hub has not switched SSID and has been up for over 4 days 🤞. I have my stream/glass units set to stay networked in standby but can still drop off the connected list in the app despite that. When they do they take longer to start. My Glass TV showed a disconnection screen twice before going to the main menu. Speeds have settled down and broadly its working as it should for my wifi 6 devices. Wifi 5 spedds are all over the place.. 

I have several issues I plan to raise through the private forum Super Users have I will includeca reference to your and @Chimpishuk issues. Hopefuly we can getvsome feedback from the product team as opposed to the support team who you have been speaking to.

@Chrisee Thanks, can't fault support to be fair, even the diags today showed something described as weird hence the replacement.  The big advantage of the community we can all help each other out & for those of us who want to learn things in the process to 🙂 

Absolutely @adwarduk it is one of ways the forum shows its worth and it is well liked for the same reason inside Sky. I will feed back anything I hear which isnt covered by a NDA and I have dropped a post for Kev to read when he is back in summarising my experience and linked to this thread.

@Chrisee Likewise I find anything I'll feedback keep helping folks and start the rise though the levels 😃

This message was authored by cealw This message was authored by: cealw

I have a Plex server and cannot access this remotely since changing to the sky max wifi router.  Would this be due to the router and can this be fixed?  

Any help appreciated 

This message was authored by reddwarfcrew This message was authored by: reddwarfcrew

@cealw This is known due to port forwarding not being available on Sky Max router....yet.

Sky Q 2TB UHD, 3 Sky Minis, Sky Gigafast SR203.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion