Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

Re: Absolute 0 Internet connection

@cookiemonsteruk - I think I've just found a very weird bug in the wifi max hub which maybe causing some of the weird wifi can't connect issues etc.  In fact I've just had to re-connect every device to mine and there is one change thats been made on my account (not on the hub or by me I might add).   I have a MaxPod being shipped just had the 'Its been sent mail'. its appeared early in the Myskyapp already (kind of expected).  here's the potential bug,  at exactly the time the pod showed in my accout the MaxHubs wifi network names have reset to default as has the wifi password,  nothing else has changed and to make it even more weird the name and password on the hub now don't match whats in the app (Thankfully i've all defaults and my new details saved just to play safe).  I'll log a call with sky but raise it here in case anyone else sees it as well.  Happy for it to be passed to all the super-users as well.

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

Re: WiFi Max

@geobrad - I think the IPv4 firewall by default is in a weird mode which makes no sense to me, IPv6 is ideal config.   I've raised that with sky techsupport on a call already.  If they come back with anything I'll post on here.

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Absolute 0 Internet connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I have moved this post here as a precautionary measure re strange wifi behaviour on sky max and pods. 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

I don't seem to be able to order this on the website or the app. 

Whats the deal, do I have to ring Sky?

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Chimpishuk 

There could be a few reason

My sky was first updated on ios. Android not updated yet.

If you still can't order via other devices pc laptop etc skx max hub is not compatible with g.fast connections

Also customers with sky q tv subscription will have wait until later on this year due to differences in the mesh technologies

Even if you have moved from sky q to sky stream etc and this was done manually remnants of the sky q could still block the sky max subscription in which case it would need to be dealt with by back end 

Call sky on 150 from a sky landline to order. If still not get back to us for escalation if the last one applies

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

@cookiemonsteruk 

I'm on Android. But I might be able to use iOS/iPadOS app to run on my apple silicone MacBook. 

There is a link in the Android app but it says I have an overdue balance but this isn't the case. I've been moaning to sky for months since I moved from Q for Stream. 

So as follows 

I'm a stream customer.

I'm an FTTP customer.

I'm a Gigafast customer.

So I meet all the criteria. The missus has an iPhone so might have to borrow it to "upgrade" if the MacBook option doesn't work!

Thanks for coming back to me so quick. It'll probably fail on iOS incorrectly stating I have an outstanding bill. Which isn't due until 01.08.23.

Weird! Anyways I'll keep you informed!

Are there any upfront costs? 

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.

@Chimpishuk 

Then its the g.fast one that stands out as vdsl and fttp connections are compatible. But when fttp arrives in your area the one about manually switching sky q to sky stream and leaving remnants of sky q on the system may raise its ugly head. We'll cross that bridge if or when it comes

@Chimpishuk 

Apologies misread gigafast for g.fast 😴

Were you with sky q before sky stream?

@cookiemonsteruk 

Perhaps you'be misunderstood.

I don't have g.fast. I have the Sky Gigafast  broadband product. Sky stopped selling it for a while. Something to do openreach if I recall. I have full fibre to the prem. With an ONT. I live in a new build, there's no copper anywhere. Just Openreach fibre to the prem.  I average 900mbps.

It's their fastest broadband product. And definitely FTTP.

The MacBook install of MySky was a no go. So I'm off to borrow the wife's iPhone. 

It could be some kind of remnant of Sky Q for backoffice team as you say. 

Wonder if I could manage the account directly from the Sky Stream box - probably not. 

@cookiemonsteruk 

Yes I had Sky Q pretty much since it became available. 

Are there any upfront costs for the new router and WiFi guarantee?

I'm assuming I'm going to get stung £10 per month? Would be great to know if there is a simcard backup option like the business router. 

@Chimpishuk 

@Chimpishuk wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk 

Yes I had Sky Q pretty much since it became available. 

Keep an eye on that one if after phoning you are rejected

Are there any upfront costs for the new router and WiFi guarantee?

No front costs. I believe discounted at £7.50 pm for 18 months

I'm assuming I'm going to get stung £10 per month? Would be great to know if there is a simcard backup option like the business router. 

@cookiemonsteruk 

Same issue on the wife's phone. 

You have an outstanding bill, please pay this before we can discuss upgrading your broadband.  There is nothing outstanding.  

It's been the same since Sky split the bill from one monthly bill into two. (One for Broadband and another for stream) I can see they took two payments at the beginning of July. I've rang and complained they said they would log it with their dev team. It's stopped happening on the website but still happens on the MySky app. I guess I'm ringing 150 whenever they open. 

Thanks your help though.  V informative especially re potential Sky Q issue. 

@Chimpishuk 

Just trawling thru the specs on the superuser forum. Re: 4g failover unfortunately not, just the same meagre 2GB data will be applied to your mobile for total outage. I am assuming it has to have a sky sim 

@cookiemonsteruk 

Called sky on 150 @08:30

I passed all criteria and new router should arrive tomorrow: 

Services and equipment Sky Broadband Gigafast, Sky Wifi Max, Sky Max Hub. 

Dowload speeds: MAX: 930mbps MIN:780Mbps

I did advise that I have an existing Sky Q Wifi Extener but they would not allow me to add Sky Pod at the time of ordering.  I can add one tomorrow when the router arrives.  I get the feeling you could probably get two without raising too many eyebrows although sometimes an engineer visit is required.  I have access to a fluke device so I really don't need a Sky "engineer"

Will be interesting to see how this improves wifi on wifi6 devices.  Most of my critical items are hardwired using datapoints and switch (Philips Hue, Two TV's, Macbook when it's in the office, Sky Protect, 3 x Sky Pucks and Consoles.  Will also be intersting if it improves over all speed and keeps the ping down.  

I am a little pensive about the lack of information on the technical details of the router. 

The only official details I can find on the web as follows: 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-max

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-max-hub-do-you-have-internet-calls

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/change-wifi-max-hub-settings

And unofficially:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023/07/12/skys-new-max-hub-using-wi-fi-6/

"The new Max Hub uses intelligent cloud optimisation to give users the best and smoothest connection yet, adapting and evolving the flow of traffic to each device, offering stronger and more reliable WiFi coverage wherever customers are at home." What on earth does this mean? Changes in traffic priority? At what cost?  How can that be achieved over Openreach infrasture? Have they got a buch of riverbeds in each local exchange? 

The thought of utilising management of the router via the MySky App exclusively makes me shudder....anyways we shall see..  

If anyone has any more technical data I would love to see it. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion