Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by reddwarfcrew This message was authored by: reddwarfcrew

Re: WiFi Max

So if I want to upgrade from wireless ac to ax and retain port forwarding (which I use) then looks like I'm going to have to go thr 3rd party router route.  Was holding off for sky to 'upgrade' their kit and while I understand their approach it simply doesn't fit the gigafast target market.

If this is their way forward then why offer gigafast.... the two dont gel together.

Sky Q 2TB UHD, 3 Sky Minis, Sky Gigafast SR203.
This message was authored by adeharding This message was authored by: adeharding

Have they reduced the price already. Sky.com website now says £7.50 per month, no indiciations being a promo price.

Add WiFi Max

for just

£7.50

extra a month for 18 months

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@reddwarfcrew wrote:

it simply doesn't fit the gigafast target market.

If this is their way forward then why offer gigafast.... the two dont gel together.

I don't think that's the case now: the 'gigafast target market' is much wider than it was, particularly when, for example, a household with a full complement of Stream pucks could be using 200Mbs just for those.

BT keeps offering me 900Mbs for £1 a month more than I am paying for 500Mbs.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by shades848 This message was authored by: shades848

I guess at this price it could end up being a retentions tool to be given when people threaten to leave or to get them to renew for another 18 months 

This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Found a fixed wireless terminal for my DECT phones so gonna go that route and not buy the new router.  Gonna look around for a decent 3rd party router while I used my TP-Link router

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@reddwarfcrew the indications are port forwarding will be offered on the new unit but it wasn't available at launch. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Rasta+Nick This message was authored by: Rasta+Nick

@adeharding wrote:

Sky.com website now says £7.50 per month, no indiciations being a promo price.

Add WiFi Max

for just

£7.50

extra a month for 18 months

Still says £10 a month on website for me (even after clearing cache)

This message was authored by reddwarfcrew This message was authored by: reddwarfcrew

Suposedly £7.50pm in contract, then £10pm

https://www.cable.co.uk/blogs/sky-wifi-max-20230712/

Sky Q 2TB UHD, 3 Sky Minis, Sky Gigafast SR203.

My fixed access terminal idea worked out great so now I don't have to have the home phone connected and thus I can use my own 3rd party router so I won't be bothering with the new router

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Ordered my sky wifi max hub its  coming  tomorrow 

This message was authored by mandip This message was authored by: mandip

I ordered my sky Wi-Fi Max it's coming tomorrow DPD  l am going to be refusing delivery tomorrow because l want to see in the coming months if it's any good lot of people saying it's not as good so am going to wait sky also wants my old Router back no l keeping my old Router and not getting new Wi-Fi 6 until l know for certain that it's good at work as it could be. It's too early to say yet l rushed in

If what was said before is any indication it is likely Sky have taken the comcast route ( since comcast own sky ) and have locked down this new router to the ninth degree.  I used to live in the states and I had the unfortunate oppotunity to interact with comcast and to say they locked stuff down was an understatement

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mandip wrote:

l keeping my old Router and not getting new Wi-Fi 6 until l know for certain that it's good at work as it could be. 

At the end of the day it's an ISP router, which means it's built to a moderate budget and loaned in a subscription bundle with additional features (primarily 'free' WiFi 6 booster pods).  There will undoubtedly be 'better' routers available: this is a mass market option for the average FTTP household.

This message was authored by bob7642 This message was authored by: bob7642

Sky max router log in problem

Hi

Just received new max router, initial set up fine but now need to log in to router 192.168.0.1  but when I put in the username and password and hot log in it changes username to all lower case and says incorrect username? Tried on chrome Firefox and Samsung Internet.

Any ideas

TIA 

Rob

Re: Sky max router log in problem

@bob7642 

I believe the idea is that once in place, the Max Hub is largely administered through the appropriate section of the My Sky app (which is linked to the Hub using the QR code on the rear label)

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/change-wifi-max-hub-settings 

Note that we're advised the Hub does not currently support DMZ, port forwarding or 2.4/5Ghz band separation, so options for those won't be found in the app.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion