Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: WiFi Max

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaveLloyd 

Gfast

I am sure its just a vdsl modem with one lan port as a fttp wan port . No mention of g.fast modem

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Has there been any update on the full specs of the new router?

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@DaveLloyd 

It is not compatible with g.fast

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by DaveLloyd This message was authored by: DaveLloyd

Thanks for confirming that it's not compatible with Gfast that wasn't clear on the press release .. my broadband is described in My Sky as "Ultrafast Broadband, with average speeds of 145 Mb/s" which on the press release says is compatible .. I couldn't see any mention that the Gfast variant wasn't included with this but thanks for the clarification.  What is even more annoying is that in my street we now have fibre to the premises and if I go in the BT, Talk Talk etc websites it says I can order fibre to the premises up to 900mb but on My Sky it says I'm in the fastest speed available.. the problem is I can't swap because I am only 6 months into an 18 month contract with Sky 🙈

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DaveLloyd wrote:

my broadband is described in My Sky as "Ultrafast Broadband, with average speeds of 145 Mb/s" which on the press release says is compatible .. I couldn't see any mention that the Gfast variant wasn't included with this 

That's a good point: Sky markets the 150Mbs service as Ultrafast on both FTTP and G.fast, but there would have to be a version of the new Hub with a modem for use with the latter.  It is of course arguable that 150Mbs broadband doesn't really 'need' WiFi 6 though, and 500Mbs / Gigabit is always FTTP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@DaveLloyd 

I have dropped a note to community managers to see if there's a safety net to prevent g.fast customers from ordering it .

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DaveLloyd 

Actually, it would probably work with an external G.fast modem, but Sky can (and probably will) choose not to supply the Max service on that basis 

@DaveLloyd 

@TimmyBGood as the wifi 6 hub has a wan port i would reckon they could buy a g.fast modem and plug ethernet from the g.fast modem to the new sky hubs wan port

@cookiemonsteruk 

Yes, but as Sky historically don't support use of non-Sky hardware they almost certainly wouldn't offer the Max service and hence the loan of the Hub to a household on G.fast.

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@DaveLloyd 

I have dropped a note to community managers to see if there's a safety net to prevent g.fast customers from ordering it .

Probably just 'computer says no'.  It would, of course, be helpful if Sky (and other ISPs) actually explained the difference between the two different 'Ultrafast' technologies, or had sold G.fast with a different label which reflected its upper speed limit: perhaps something like 'Superfast Plus'.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

The wireless standard wifi 6 router market is very competitive and I wonder whether, at £10 a month, Sky has marketed itself out of the marketplace for a locked-down wireless router.

Especially considering a good wifi 6 router costs around £200 mark and is owned...

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Rasta+Nick This message was authored by: Rasta+Nick

@mae-3 wrote:

The wireless standard wifi 6 router market is very competitive and I wonder whether, at £10 a month, Sky has marketed itself out of the marketplace for a locked-down wireless router.

Especially considering a good wifi 6 router costs around £200 mark and is owned...

I believe it has, and I lots of people I have spoken to are tending to feel the same. It just seems so odd. A monthly fee for your connection plus a monthly fee for your router, especially since they are giving away the SR203 to strangers on street corners! 

This message was authored by reddwarfcrew This message was authored by: reddwarfcrew

Ive been waiting for wifi6 for ages.  I'm on 900Mb package and get 900Mb wired.  The router is in clear open space and wired into 3 sky boxes...... yet on wifi I get <100Mbs within <20ft of the router/sky q.

£10pm...... too much. I bought 3 eero's a while back but didnt realise they didnt work on sky's authentication. Never sent them back. Okay I dont need super speeds wifi but 10% of what I'm paying for isn't good for an old tech router. 

it should be free for gigafast customers.

Sky Q 2TB UHD, 3 Sky Minis, Sky Gigafast SR203.

@mae-3 wrote:

I imagine they'd argue that's the price for the Max service, of which loan of the Hub hardware is only part.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TimmyBGood 

What are all these services that are above those not provided by the third-party option of purchasing right out a good wifi 6 router at £200? 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion