Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: WiFi Max

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@simon194 wrote:

@adeharding wrote:

Doesn't work with Sky Q🤣

There's no reason why it wouldn't work with Q but as it probably doesn't include AirTies, the main box will most likely only connect using the 2.4GHz band and only form a mesh between the main box and minis. So it will be ethernet cable between the main box and router for the best perfomance.

@simon194 I agree with you completely that the new hub will more than likely act as though it is a third  party router 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

Mixed feelings - I have 1Gb fibre so delighted a better performing router is now being made available but disappointed that as a Sky Q user I need to wait till later this year, 

I wonder if Sky will enable current Sky Q boxes via software update or if a new Q box will be needed.

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Stream, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub
This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Going to have to wait to see if the wired side of the new router is any improvement on the SR203 ( I mainly used wired )

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kenny+Rankin wrote:

I wonder if Sky will enable current Sky Q boxes via software update or if a new Q box will be needed.

Given Comcast appear to be betting a fairly sizeable farm that the future is in streaming rather than satellite, the likelihood of there ever being a 'new Q box' is pretty small.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by benwho This message was authored by: benwho

Getting the new router tomorrow.  

Ben

Ben could you tell us what the specs are once you know when you get it tomorrow!

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by adeharding This message was authored by: adeharding

Looking at the Sky Help pages, looks like ports are similar to the current Sky Hub https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/sky-broadband-equipment/sky-hub/setting-up-my-sky-hub/articl...

So basically an SR203 with Wifi 6 then...

Hopefully not 😞

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Aurynfire wrote:

So basically an SR203 with Wifi 6 then...

Nope: ISPReview reports it's using both on-board and in-cloud proprietary technology from Plume, and meshes with their WiFi 6 'pods' rather than Sky-branded boosters.  There's also a USB-C port (purpose as yet unknown) and even the hint of a crossover into the Comcast platform used in Glass/Stream.

This message was authored by shades848 This message was authored by: shades848

it does feel a bit cheap of sky not to give this as a perk to people on 900mb FTP as you would think it would make people pick the higher speed over the 500mb option it's 10 pounds difference anyway 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@shades848 strangely Sky are in business to make money.  Giving Wifi Max, which isnt just the the new router it includes up to 3 Wifi Max Pods etc,, to anyone paying for Gigafast as part of the deal would mean anyone on Ultrafast+ like myself wouldn't pay for Wifi Max we would just opt for Gigafast instead at the same price. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by DaveLloyd This message was authored by: DaveLloyd

Interested in getting this -  Are existing customers on Ultrafast able to add this onto their existing package online or can this only be done by calling sky at the moment?

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Hi @DaveLloyd 

If you are eligible for it then it will show up on the broadband upgrade section in My Sky / website.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps

@DaveLloyd 

Note that Max is not currently available to a Sky Broadband household which also has Sky Q television: there appear to be compatibility issues between the new wireless implementation  and the Q mesh.

This message was authored by DaveLloyd This message was authored by: DaveLloyd

Thanks for the info .. I have Sky stream and Ultrafast 150 (on Gfast) .. if I go in the My Sky website and click on upgrade broadband it says Broadband is not available at my address so a few gremlins I think seeing as I already have it 🤣 I'll keep checking hopefully it will appear over the next few days 👍

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion