Discussion topic: WiFi Max

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

gordoncampbell49
Topic Author
This message was authored by gordoncampbell49 This message was authored by: gordoncampbell49

Re: Wifi max

IMG_0129.png

This message was authored by shades848 This message was authored by: shades848

Yeah it would nice if there was a link or working webpage for the upgraded when they put info out like this 

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Sky's web dev's letting the info out early 🤭  

Tut Tut, the dev's never screw up (cough cough) 😁

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TomThumb5ive in this case Insuspect Apple approved the new app slightly faster than Sky expected. 😀

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Rasta+Nick This message was authored by: Rasta+Nick

Re: WiFi Max

A new router which makes full fibre more useful since it can provide decent wifi speeds too and you have to pay a £10 a month for it? Comical!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rasta+Nick 

The alternative would presumably be to increase the price of the Ultrafast broadband connection itself and not give users an option.

Licencing the proprietary Plume technology will undoubtedly have a cost to Sky.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/07/isp-sky-broadband-uk-accidentally-confirms-new-wifi-6-... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Rasta+Nick This message was authored by: Rasta+Nick

@TimmyBGood 

I understand that there is always a cost. What I am finding comical is that sky can sell you a full fibre ultrafast and faster broadband account which will not give you faster wifi speeds than their basic superfast account and will only gaurantee 3mb wifi in every room, unless you pay an extra £10 a month. 

I guess I would prefer the router to be simply provided with the faster accounts and increase the price if necessary. That seems to be the business model that other providers are using. It just appears a bit like selling you a car and  having reverse gear as an extra option! lol

Like I said though, it's only my opinion, I was simply surprised to see "full fibre broadband" (good wi-fi £10 a month extra). lol 
Have a great day! 🙂

This message was authored by adeharding This message was authored by: adeharding

Doesn't work with Sky Q🤣

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@adeharding 

Yet ; )

I suspect the issue with Q is that it uses a different proprietary WiFi technology going back to 2015

https://advanced-television.com/2016/01/26/airties-supercharges-sky-q-wi-fi-devices/ 

https://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/airties-can-finally-talk-openly-sky-q-hybrid-mesh/ 

and getting such things to play nicely, given they are both doing non-standard things, isn't trivial.

@Rasta+Nick wrote:

I guess I would prefer the router to be simply provided with the faster accounts and increase the price if necessary. That seems to be the business model that other providers are using.

I'll be interested to see what BT offer me when they release their WiFi 6 router: I'm already paying a premium for their failover to EE cellular.  There's no ultrafast Sky Broadband closer than 20 miles away.

This message was authored by masterkik This message was authored by: masterkik

Unless SKY Q boxes wired then might work

This message was authored by adeharding This message was authored by: adeharding

That makes sense surely the Sky Q boxes will work if they’re wired.

@masterkik @adeharding 

Probably, yes, but it looks like Sky just isn't going to offer the new Hub to Q households for now.

" Existing customers with Sky Q won’t be able to purchase WiFi max until later this year  "

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/Sky-Broadband-releases-its-most-powerful-WiFi-yet 

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@adeharding wrote:

Doesn't work with Sky Q🤣

There's no reason why it wouldn't work with Q but as it probably doesn't include AirTies, the main box will most likely only connect using the 2.4GHz band and only form a mesh between the main box and minis. So it will be ethernet cable between the main box and router for the best perfomance.

" intelligent cloud optimisation "

Sounds to me like a term they would use to explain how the router options are even more locked down as more settings will be controlled from the Sky backend.  I believe Vodafone used the same term with their 6E router and it ended up meaning that alot of  options that were in their customers control on their previous router was removed

Time will tell of course and I hope I am wrong, if anyone gets this new router could you post what we will have access to!

Fantastically Autistic

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion