Discussion topic: Why can I no longer get Ultrafast Broadband?

This message was authored by CLBrosnan93 This message was authored by: CLBrosnan93

Why can I no longer get Ultrafast Broadband?

So i've just bought a house and during the build up waiting to get it kept checking what broadband deals were available for me, and Sky told me my address had ultrafast available. As soon as the previous owners moved out and I moved in, that option had gone and the only option they had was the old copper wire broadband which is far from good enough. This was the same with NOW Broadband too. I assumed it would be because the cabinet is full, which is daft in itself, however when I go on the postcode checker again for Sky Broadband literally every other house on my street gets offered the ultrafast broadband except for mine, even though mine did a few days ago. Is there any reason for this?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Why can I no longer get Ultrafast Broadband?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CLBrosnan93 

Could you enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
CLBrosnan93
Topic Author
This message was authored by CLBrosnan93 This message was authored by: CLBrosnan93

broadband.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@CLBrosnan93 

Unfortunatelx  superfast fttc is on a waiting list so keep an eye on that link until it goes to available.then contact Also WBC fttp is not showing .  The fttp on demand showing is expensive as the customer has to pay the full cosj of the installation often over £8000

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@CLBrosnan93 

Your cabinet is full and on waiting list so you cant order fibre. If other houses around you are showing as available then this is likely because they are connected to a different cabinet. You can confirm this by looking up other addresses on that checker and checking the 'Cabinet number' it gives you at the top. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
CLBrosnan93
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for the response. I don't understand that final point you made but i'm hoping that isn't relevant to me. The previous owners had NOW broadband at about 59mbps so i'm assuming there is a line for me to get something similar without paying installation fees but I just have to wait till there's space available?
How often do places in the cabinet open up and do I need to be with a provider in order to be on the waiting list or can I just keep checking that page and when one comes available contact a provider to get a deal? 

Tempted to hold off getting any proper broadband and just getting a 4G router from Three for the time being I think.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@CLBrosnan93  The point @jamesn123  was making you can check to see if the properties around you are served by the same cabinet as yours is. If you are with a provider and it comes off waiting list to available then you can place an order then or should be able to.

The slots open when people move to a different technology or move away and the property becomes vacant.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

@CLBrosnan93 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the response. I don't understand that final point you made but i'm hoping that isn't relevant to me.

It isnt, FTTP OD is mostly for business use and not for you to be concerned with. The line to your home is sufficient for FTTC as soon as there is space in your cabinet.

There is no waiting list as such that you can join so you should just keep checking that page. As soon as it says 'Avaliable' you should go and place an order with your chosen ISP. The time it takes for space to become available can vary significantly as it mostly relies on another customer cancelling their connection which could be days, weeks or months. The other way is Openreach expand your cabinet but if they arent already in the process of doing this it can take months - years if they will even do it at all. (Openreach are focusing on FTTP rollout now so wont be interested in expanding FTTC availability) 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
CLBrosnan93
Topic Author

Thanks for all the responses, it's really appreciated.

Does that website show availability before anywhere else then so that should be my first place to keep checking? 

The current options I have are around the 2-5mbps range so don't want to go with any of the major providers for that. There are other smaller companies saying they can offer me speeds similar to Sky's ultrafast so is that still possible or is it just that their websites may not have updated with the availability? 

@CLBrosnan93 

Thats the first place to check.and is updated every 2-4 weeks

CLBrosnan93
Topic Author

Cool, thanks. 

As a side note I checked some of the other addresses on the street on that website and it says they're served by the same cabinet as me. So I can only assume that means they already have fibre and aren't one of the properties without it that would be on the waiting list for example? 

@CLBrosnan93 

Which small providers exactly? Some may have just not been updated with your cabinets availability

Personally I'd just go with a 4G router until you can order Fibre. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
CLBrosnan93
Topic Author

PopTelecom, Pulse8 and Vispa are some of the ones I've seen.

But yeah thats my gut feeling too. Reviews on them seem decent enough and I'll get them on a rolling contract so I can jump out if any availability in the cabinet comes up. There isn't any 5G ones in my area but 4G speeds are surely still better than the 2-5mbps options i've got. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CLBrosnan93 wrote:

Sky told me my address had ultrafast available.

Incidentally, I supect you meant 'Superfast' there and in the title of the thread.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
CLBrosnan93
Topic Author

You are probably correct. I forget which one was which, but it was the 59mbps one. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion