Discussion topic: What's the simplest and quickest way to cancel my Sky Broadband?

This message was authored by eCubation This message was authored by: eCubation

What's the simplest and quickest way to cancel my Sky Broadband?

I'm currently out of contract with Sky Broadband and my bill has doubled. I 100% looking to move to another provider.

What's the quickest way to cancel Sky Broadband? I've tried the recommended approaches but I'm not waiting hours on a phone for someone to eventually answer and try to persuade me to stay. Can I cancel via email and if so, does anyone have a valid email address? 

I'm looking to give the 31 days notice of cancellation.

Thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: What's the simplest and quickest way to cancel my Sky Broadband?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@eCubation You need to contact Sky to cancel all or part of your subscription and give the required notice (TV - 31 days, Broadband - 14 days). This link should help https://www.sky.com/cancel  Be aware you may not be able to cancel if you’re still in a minimum term especially TV. Keep your proof of posting safe once you’ve returned all loaned Sky equipment.

If you are changing to Virgin or cancelling broadband totally you'll have to contact Sky. If you are changing to another ISP who uses the Openreach infrastructure then join up with them and they should contact Sky. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@eCubation You need to contact Sky to cancel all or part of your subscription and give the required notice (TV - 31 days, Broadband - 14 days). This link should help https://www.sky.com/cancel  Be aware you may not be able to cancel if you’re still in a minimum term especially TV. Keep your proof of posting safe once you’ve returned all loaned Sky equipment.

If you are changing to Virgin or cancelling broadband totally you'll have to contact Sky. If you are changing to another ISP who uses the Openreach infrastructure then join up with them and they should contact Sky. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@eCubation 

If you are looking to move to another ISP on the Openreach network then the best way is to do a migration to a new provider, this only needs you to contact the new provider who will do all the work in migrating the line to them and contacting the old provider to terminate the contract with the old provider.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
eCubation
Topic Author

Thanks for the response. I'm cancelling my Broadband so do I only need to provide 14 days notice?

Also, the link provided doesn't help and that's why I'm looking for alternative options.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@eCubation Try this link, it's more focused on broadband https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-broadband 

Sky customer since 2001
eCubation
Topic Author

@mae-3 

It's likely that I'll move to Virgin Media but how does the Openreach network help since I'm based in Dublin?

I'm looking for the best way to give the required notice to Sky but it's proving difficult (as many other customers have detailed on various other forums).

eCubation
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 

I've already tried that link but that's not helpful and the buttons at the bottom don't work i.e. nothing loads when I click "Yes, I still need help".

@eCubation 

Migration only applies to the UK mainland, so one would need to cancel the broadband subscription with Sky.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@eCubation wrote:

@mae-3 

It's likely that I'll move to Virgin Media but how does the Openreach network help since I'm based in Dublin?

I'm looking for the best way to give the required notice to Sky but it's proving difficult (as many other customers have detailed on various other forums).

Sorry @eCubation didn't realise you were in ROI.

Sky customer since 2001
eCubation
Topic Author

@mae-3 

Thanks but since I wasn't likely to migrate anyway, it's still back to my original question.

@eCubation 

The quickest way to cancel is to telephone the ROI Sky telephone number and ask to cancel the broadband contract, unfortunately, you'll have to jump through hoops to achieve your requirement!

-------

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@eCubation wrote:

Same issue though: migrating broadband on a standard phone line connection (whether Openreach or Eircom) is designed to be seamless as it's an infrastructure takeover, but Sky to Virgin is entirely different cabling and doesn't have a corresponding mechanism.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
eCubation
Topic Author

@mae-3 

Thanks for the suggestion but what number are you suggesting that I call to get ROI Sky? I have tried calling them on different numbers but I'm left waiting, nobody answers and it's a bit pointless. 

I know that they intentionally make it this difficult for people to cancel contracts. I potentially could contact them via Facebook or via Twitter as they may answer quicker that way. Alternatively, I could contact the communications regulator to get their advice.

eCubation
Topic Author

@@TimmyBGood 

Thanks but are you commenting in general about the change in broadband providers in ROI? I'm not sure I understand your point.

@eCubation If you already have a Sky Talk landline or a Sky Mobile ring Sky free by just dialling 150. Otherwise you can use this link:
https://www.sky.com/help/home 
UK: Scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides an 0333 number.
ROI: change the flag in the very bottom corner of the same link to the ROI flag then scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides an 0818 number.

Apparently the lines are sometimes quieter just after 7am or about 9pm so it may be worth trying then (times may vary in ROI). Stay on the line and don’t hang up if you’re prompted to.

Sky customer since 2001

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion