Discussion topic: VPN Disconnecting

This message was authored by dekretser This message was authored by: dekretser

VPN Disconnecting

I work from home few days a week and use work VPN to connect to our servers.  AT least dozen times a day  I get randomly disconnected from the VPN  "your broadband connection is unstable".  I've had work IT looked into it who have repalced the laptop and confim all settings are fine. When the laptop is hardwired this does not happen.  Also the speeds showing on the Sky checker are higher than compared to the speeds on the  worklaptop connected to the same router. Any help please? Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: VPN Disconnecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @dekretser 

The fact you say it disconnects over WiFi but not ethernet almost fully confirms the problem is WiFi interference. 

Can you please post your router stats

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
dekretser
Topic Author

dekretser_0-1707228197649.png

Hi @dekretser 

Your line is in perfect condition as are the WiFi radios on your hub. Your problem is likely down to WiFi interference from neighbouring WiFi or appliances. There is a number of things you can do to resolve this issue such as changing the hubs WiFi channel, forcing your laptop to use the less congested 5ghz band or purchasing a 3rd party WiFi solution. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
dekretser
Topic Author

thank you. Really appreciate it.

how do i force the laptop to use the less congested 5ghz band ?

@dekretser 

In Windows go to Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced Network settings > Drop down the WiFi option > More adapter options > Configure > Advanced > Preferred band > Change value to 'Prefer 5ghz band'

2024-02-06 14_21_51-Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz Properties.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@jamesn123 wrote:

@dekretser 

In Windows go to Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced Network settings > Drop down the WiFi option > More adapter options > Configure > Advanced > Preferred band > Change value to 'Prefer 5ghz band'

2024-02-06 14_21_51-Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz Properties.png

... unless your IT department have not given you access to that configuration dialog.

dekretser
Topic Author

They made the change under admin rights but it doesn't seems to make a difference. Going to try a booster. 

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@dekretser wrote:

They made the change under admin rights but it doesn't seems to make a difference. Going to try a booster. 

If it's only a problem with a works laptop and VPN via a wifi connection then a booster might work for a fixed location.

I'm a great believer in 'doing it right' and implementing a 'fit and forget' solution.

For me I have the main wifi router and two hardwired wireless access points.

I'm lucky to live in a small detached property allowing Ethernet cables to be run externally.

I use 'routers' for the AP points in AP mode giving me four additional Ethernet connections at each of those locations.

It does take a long weekend to fit but once done you'll never look back.

This is the cheap solution, good wireless AP routers for <£50 each.

You can also go down the easier Mesh wifi solution that will set you back £150+ for a simple solution.

These can use wifi without the need for an Ethernet cable but with a drop in speed / latency.

If you can't use Ethernet to connect to your laptop, the you really want to use the 5GHz wifi band.

It's has much more bandwidth meaning it (can be) less congested than the 2.4GHz band.

(I say 'can be' because many routers (Sky's HUBs included) can only use the lower frequency channels - 36 to 48)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion