Discussion topic: Using a second router as a WiFi extender

This message was authored by glowstonedust This message was authored by: glowstonedust

Using a second router as a WiFi extender

I have a second Sky router sitting at home, and I wanted to improve the connectivity in my room which is poor at times. I have configured the second sky router with a new static IP address with my main one being 192.168.0.1 and my second router being 192.168.0.253. I have disabled DHCP on my second router. The issue is if I connect them as is I begin to have some issues where my videos pause and my other family members have issues with the connection. I thought I could go around this issue by using a separate SSID for the second router so I can connect to it and only it, but when I log into my second router it seems to have adopted the name of the primary router and it does not let me change the SSID of the second router. I've logged into it using the new IP address I set but when I try to change the SSID it also does it for the primary router. My question is, is there a way I can keep the two routers but with 2 separate SSIDs so there are no issues with connections around my house? 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Using a second router as a WiFi extender

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@glowstonedust 

Using a second router like that is never ideal.  In theory it should be possible to set a different SSID, but I guess it's also possible that Sky are using similar firmware on the Hubs to their boosters which are inherently designed to duplicate the network name.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
glowstonedust
Topic Author
This message was authored by glowstonedust This message was authored by: glowstonedust

Hi @TimmyBGood,

Thank you for responding. So is it not possible to connect the two routers with separate SSIDs at all?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@glowstonedust 

I'm speculating it's potentially an undesigned side-effect, in which case it may not have a mechanism to overrule it.

@glowstonedust 

Just a thought: did you 'link' the two Hubs using their WPS buttons?

By default I'd guess that would effectively be an instruction to duplicate the network name.

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

Ideally the second router should be setup as an access point but you can't do that with Sky hub's.

It would be less hassle just to purchase a reasonably priced extender or a better WiFi main router.

However why is the wifi poor in the same room?

glowstonedust
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood,

I did not connect them via their WPS buttons, I configured the second router as mentioned above and then directly connected them via and ethernet cable

glowstonedust
Topic Author

Hi @cuke,

Thank you for your message. Apologies for any confusion the routers are not in the same room, the second router is in my room where the connection is less reliable

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@glowstonedust 

People have tried and failed before to use a second Sky hub for WiFi access, it simply doesnt work reliably and is always more of a headache than its worth. As @TimmyBGood has said, I believe its to do with Sky's router firmware and how they link to each other. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by CJ49 This message was authored by: CJ49

I had a similar query so I find the answers helpful. 

May I safely assume that this applies to the most recent hub/router as supplied with the 500mbps fttp in December 2023?

Thanks

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@CJ49 

Yes you need a Sky booster or other 3rd party AP

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thank you James.

Its still early days so I'll wait until everything has stabilised.

The signal strength via ethernet is excellent and the wifi is acceptable 1 internal wall away from the hub.

2 walls really cut the signal and decent quality repeater/boosters make negligible, if any, improvement.

I'll go down the extended LAN and/or AP as suggested.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@CJ49 the answer to your simple question isnt simple but can be summarised as it depends. Firstly what is the type of construction of your home if you have solid internal walls wifi is never going to be satisfactory unless you have multiple access points in different rooms connected back to the hub by ethernet or by powerline adapters. However personally in a 35 year old home I can get away with a system with 3 satellites positioned centrally on each level  and linked together by wifi.

The next decision is what speeds you need where, a 500Mb/s connection is more about the number of users it can support than the outright speed each user needs. As a guide streaming the highest Netflix quality only needs 30Mb/s, online gaming requires around 10Mb/s but with both stability is as important as bandwidth. If you want 500Mb/s in every room be prepared to spend several hunderds but as an example my system cost £100 and gives speeds over 150Mb/s in the most distant room however each home. Is different.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Chrissee - sorry for the slow response.   You got it in one.  Its an older detached house with all internal walls being solid with heavy , hard brick including a few engineering bricks.  Also I have up to 14 devices running, more occasionally, so demand is high.  Thats why I opted for 500Mbps  and updated most of my main devices to wifi 6 standard.  You've confirmed my suspicion regarding the walls.  My kneejerk was to buy a decent AP for the rearmost (furthest from router) part of the house and try to RJ45 to wherever possible.  Is it worth waiting to See what Sky might offer? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@CJ49 Sky sell two packages but neither are a good fit for your problem whichbis solid walls. If running ethernet is not practical then look at powerline networking kits which can come with built-in wifi access points. These use your mains cabelling to carry the data to a distant room. Both TP-Link and Devolo make decent units..

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion